1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you ever get used to the flapping of the wings?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by shaft0463, Nov 22, 2010.

1. shaft0463

shaft0463 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    We killed out first turkey last night. We have had to kill a few chickens that were injured, and they always flap up a storm once they have been dispatched to birdie heaven. Logically I know they are dead, especially int he case of the turkey (hubby shot him, and he literally had no head).

Do you ever get used to watching them flap around like they are in pain, even though they are very clearly dead? I am used to meat from the grocery, so this is a learning experience.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Get or make your own killing cones. No flapping. [​IMG]

3. MovieFanz

MovieFanz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    If you give them a few shots of bourbon a hour before, they mellow right out. I wrap mine in a old towel then I fit him in a feed bag with a hole cut at on end. I use duck tape and hay string around the legs and hang them upside down.

4. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:the whiskey is a good trick for guineas too. a lady we sold a couple to for thanksgiving gave the birds some wild turkey before offing their heads.. she said it worked great (my guineas are crazy wild... butchering them is a huge task).. we tried it this morning on 5 of em.. and sure enough, they were almost sedated.. really, really calm.

the lady who told us this is a vet and said to give 10 cc's per 10 lbs of body weight (this works for any bird - chickens, turkeys, ducks, guineas, etc)`

ETA we also use kill cones so there is no risk of any bruised meat

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  5. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    These birds will drink booze?
    I'd give them all they wanted considering...

6. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:lol well they drink at first and then i think their throat goes numb and they start to gurgle a little.. but yea, they drink it.

and i mean, they definitely earned it, right?

by the way carrie.. love your signature thing under your posts

7. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    I know I'm probably wierd, but I prefer to hold the animal in my hands while it dies, versus watching it from afar. (Philosophy: The closer I am to my critters, the more confident I am that they have a comfortable life and a quick, respectful, relatively painless death.)

Now that I've done it a few times, there's no surprises, and the flapping is just a part of the process.

Bryan

8. PuckPuckPuck

PuckPuckPuck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Mont-Tremblanc, Quebec
    Quote:WAIT!!!!!!!! [​IMG] Do not I repeat do NOT waste good Bourbon!!! [​IMG] You will need every drop for the processing of the birds. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  9. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    No. You don't. I had a horrific experience with that last week. The only thing you can do is change how you react: close your eyes and don't watch. LOL:rolleyes:

10. Dennis A

Dennis A Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Nichols Iowa
    I have heard of people using womens hose to restrain the bird in single use apps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by