Do you ever have "enough" chickens?

Well I picked up my little chicks at the grain store last thursday and with the new additions from TSC this past weekend I have 36 chicks in my kitchen lol then had to account for the 5 bantams out in the coop...2 seramas.... the nutty roo my mom aquired, the RIR that survived the fox masacre Friday the 10 Barred Rocks and 1 roo comming tomorrow to replace my egg layers that makes 55
th.gif
my husband already needs to build me another coop for the layers and a place for my "pretty chickens" because I simply can't have them in with the "population" hahaha As I shared my pictures and stories with my friend over chat today she said....OMG You think you have enough chickens?!?!...I said yeah I think so....Until I see another one i just HAVE to have!
tongue.png

Quote:
True.. sooooo true..
I started out with 3 two years ago... one died, one turned into a nasty boy...
So, I kept getting them.. and getting them.. now I have 8 big girls, and 6 chicks.
big_smile.png

While I'm already thinking about what birds I might want to add down the road, I gotta' go with Fred on this one. The amount of chicken poop I'm constantly sweeping/hosing off my front porch lets me know that it's definitely possible to have too many chickens (although I'm not there yet
tongue.png
). And I would never want more than my coop(s) could comfortably accomodate.

Quote:
I was thinking about setting up something like that. I garden, but only tomatoes, peppers, greens and herbs. Seems like there would be way more urban gardeners than urban chicken keepers and I could find someone to do a deal with! I am also thinking of bringing the extras to a feed bank if I can find one that is convenient. So many people in need right now. It would be nice if my chicken addiction could at least ease someones stress a little.

Quote:
My seven all lay almost everyday. Except the broody silkie who is raising my chicks, so she is earning her keep in her own way
smile.png
My hens are all heavy laying breeds and they are young and spoiled, so I am getting *a lot* of eggs for a small family.

My husband likes to say "It's never enough for you is it?"
I wanted 4, he said 3, I got 5, we thought 2 were roosters and seems ony one might be, but I replaced them with 2 new ones so now i have 7. My coop is really only big enough for 5 so 2 will probably have to go plus I live in a neighborhood where Im supposed to only have 3 but the neighbor has at least 12. I want to stay married so I will stick with 5, but I have my wish list going for what I will have "someday" when I have more land
smile.png

Hello, I have to say yes, I do have enough chickens right now.......I like a happy little flock, because then, they have enough room and the coop is easier to clean. Once I get too many birds, it becomes too much work. Sad, but true......

So right now I'm up to....um.....7+12+2+3+3....That makes 25. And a few more should hatch in about a week. So I'd like to pare down to 12. Or a max of 15. So I've got quite a few to rehome before fall......Summers aren't so bad if there are more because they can free range and they seem to eat less.

Once I get to buying more than one 50# bag of chicken feed every two weeks, then it hits me in the pocketbook a little bit too hard.....I've got limited space, and a limited budget.....Darn it!

So that's why I can have too many chickens.......

I was thinking that myself lately. We thought we could use the eggs of 4 hens. Had to find a friend who would split the 12 chick NH min. Now I want to keep 9 of them and get a BO, BR,Jersey Giant, and maybe a Welsummer or a Delaware...
hu.gif

Fortunatly I have a pen and coop big enough for like 15 or so (6' x 10' coop). But really I do already have some people lined up to buy eggs....
clap.gif
chicken crazy math!!

Last edited:
Quote:
True.. sooooo true..
I started out with 3 two years ago... one died, one turned into a nasty boy...
So, I kept getting them.. and getting them.. now I have 8 big girls, and 6 chicks.
big_smile.png

My mom said "You can't BUY any more chickens!!" I said "WHAT?!?!?!" "You can ONLY let the mothers hatch their OWN eggs. Deal?" "*Sigh*, deal..."

P.S. 2 of my cockerels are trying to mate the ONE female that lets them come anywhere near her!
th.gif

Last edited:
Apparently not, if I am representative of a chicken keeper.

Just put 18 newly hatched chicks into a brooder, have 11 older chicks not yet ready to go outside, put 3 fully feathered chicks out in their grow-out coop the day before yesterday, and have two orders of hatching eggs on their way to me.

None of these are included in the flock count in my signature.

Back
Top Bottom