Do you ever have "enough" chickens?

Fred's Hens :

Quote:
and then you get more anyway.

Nope. Not a hoarder by nature. Don't mean to spoil anyone's fun. Carry on.​

You aren't spoiling our fun! You are providing a much-need voice of reason in a crazy chicken world.

Never, hehe, got 40 ,next saturday my step neices(ages 20 and 23) are bringing me 6 surprises that thier mother got for them for easter and they do not want them, I cant wait, and got 39 eggs in bator.
th.gif
lau.gif

I have a supposed limit of ten. Started at six. Somehow I have 20? And I just won a bid for four serama chicks. That doesn't count, right? They won't be living with the others! Lol!

You get into chickens by buying a few at TSC, saying to yourself: "Eggs from the hens, eat the extra roosters." Then you start finding out about all the *different kinds* of chickens, and you acquire a few more. Then you look at your chickens and say: "Well, I want a chicken that's shaped like this, with this color feathers, that lays this color egg, and that size egg..." This produces the Chicken Project. This is the Point of Know Return. You just Know you'll never Return to the way you were before - and you're okay with it!

Well, I wanted a few chickens for eggs and raised just enough so my family of 3 will have enough eggs. Now I need to throw a few dozen to my really nice neighbors now and then as a sort of "bribe" and also want a little variety so I added 5 crossbred chickens for fun(2 are supposed to carry the blue egg gene)! I think that I'm done for now....unless I can weed out the slacker hens and replace them....Hmmm.....what should I get next? Oh, yeah! I'm an addict!
wink.png

Quote:
I was beginning to think the same thing... I am pretty good with animals, but really do not have a green thumb, and as luck would have it, there is a lady across the street who has a wonderful garden every year, and a good sized family, and she recently informed me that she loves farm fresh eggs...sooo...we have worked out a swap
smile.png
And as far as the number of chickens goes, my plan was 4-6 guineas for the ticks, and 3 hens for eggs.... I have 2 guineas, and 9 chickens, 4 pullets, and 7 newly hatched chicks, with a broody sitting on another nest
smile.png

I started my flock with egg laying hens.. I don't know how anybody can have just 4 and get overrun with eggs... I had 8 hens and I was luck to get two eggs a day and then they took a day off. Forget weekend breakfasts for the family or any baking
smile.png
Then two went broody for the season.. count them out.. bought 9 more peeps last spring. With life being what it is I now have 4 of them. One lays her blue eggs in hiding so I'm lucky to find them if I do. Math being what it is I am now lucky to get between 6 & 8 a day. My goal was 2 doz a week. Sometimes I'm over and sometimes I'm not
clap.gif
I am hoping that of the 40+ peeps in the brooders there will be nice egg laying keeper hens
smile.png
and not 39 roosters.. Most I hatched or had to buy as straight run so
idunno.gif

.... and just when you think you have enough somebody goes broody on you.... ya just gotta have more
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom