Do you feed PUMPKINS to your chickens?

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
I do. At this time of year there are a few churches in the area selling pumpkins for jack-o-lanterns outside in their yards. For just a few dollars I can get several bruised/broken pumpkins at once that I crack open to give to my chickens. I just crack them open with a shovel and leave them in their runs.

The chickens like the strings & the seeds the best, but they'll continue to peck at the flesh until just a thin outer rind remains. If it starts to go bad before they're through I'll just toss it into the compost bin & crack them another.

If you're concerned with critters coming around at night attracted to the pumpkins, you can stash them in a plastic bag or garbage can away from the chicken pens. I try to keep my birds in pumpkin as long as this season lasts.

I have got my first chick over the weekend ( I am unsure the breed at the moment). I did not know they would eat more then chicken food bugs and stuff..
I am going to get a full grown one next weekend along with a pumpkin now
big_smile.png

The other day when we were in walmart I saw a sign on the front of the box of pie pumpkins that said 78 cents. I did not see the tiny little "per pound" that walmart likes to sneak in. I should have known better, but that day I had my head up my ****.
I asked my SO if we would buy my chickens one. He said sure. At the register that tiny little pie pumpkin came to $4.89! I coulda bought them a huge jack-o-lantern for that price! My SO insisted on going ahead and buying it.
Make a long story short, they ate the seeds and walked away. After the rest of the pumpkin sat in the yard all day I secretly fed it to the cows.
Their freshly prepared bowls of oatmeal are cooling on the counter right now. They'll never get another pumpkin!

That's why I like getting the discards from the pumpkin stands. It helps me because they don't cost so much, and it helps them because they don't have pumpkins going to waste & smelling up their lot. Some of the churches will give me these pumpkins, but I like to at least give them a few $$$ to help their cause.

I also give the chickens the pumpkin insides we scoop out of our own jack-o-lantern, and then give them the shell when we're done with it.

I love this time of year! I pick apples up off of the ground and feed them to the pigs, chickens and goats and pony. The chickens love tomatoes from the garden too.
We grew pumpkins this year and we do the same thing. Break the pumpkin open and let the chickens have at it. I cut pumpkins up into cubes for the pigs and the goats have a ball with a whole one. They manage to chew a hole into it and eat everything but the skin.
Save some seeds and plant them next year. Pumpkins are easy to grow and the livestock loves them!

Sounds like a great idea, I never thought of that. I am always looking for good heathly ways to cut my feed bill down. I may even put in a pumpkin patch down in a soggy bottom in the back pasture. makes sense to me, thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom