Do you feed your chickens meat....(like chicken)?

I love this thread! This was one of the first I saw when I found BYC a couple of years ago!

Feeding scraps is definitely a perk I wanted when deciding to add chickens. I'm a worry wart with the dogs, so even though they get a good bit, we still have scraps that get thrown away. Not for much longer! Just waiting for my girls to get big...definitely gonna have to get a pic of them carrying a drumstick, bahaha!

I'll stick to the occasional steak scraps. Feeding chickens chicken just seems wrong. If I were a pet of an alien, I wouldn't want them feeding me people. You know? Just wrong... but to each his own. I wouldn't feed my chickens cat food since I will eat their eggs. I sure don't want to grow whiskers! :) also, with the wheat gluton problems that killed so many pets a few years ago, I wouldn't take a chance. Birds are always the first to go, they are highly sensitive to spoiled nasty stuff, fumes (burnt Teflon for example, methane pockets in coal mines...) so maybe I'm overly protective, but my girls eat the things they would eat in nature besides the occasional steak leftovers. :)

I hope you realize that if you allow your hens to eat as they would in nature that would include things like -- dead animals of all types, snakes they caught, any rodents they come across, lizards, frogs, maggots, and they would think they were in heaven if they could find a pasture of corn fed cattle so they could scratch through the cow paddies!

I hope you realize that if you allow your hens to eat as they would in nature that would include things like -- dead animals of all types, snakes they caught, any rodents they come across, lizards, frogs, maggots, and they would think they were in heaven if they could find a pasture of corn fed cattle so they could scratch through the cow paddies!

Oh how true!

Mama hens will drag a clutch of biddies allover a cow pasture just in anticipation of the cow having a bowl movement so that she can wade into the warm patty hock deep and scratch the manure in every direction while feverously calling her brood to dinner. As a matter of fact, hens can read cows' body language and will begin calling her brood to the table before Bossy delivers lunch.

i am getting 8 or 9 chicks in 2 days and we are making a brooder in 1 day we may even get 20 chicks i know all about them to so ask me about them

I read on BYC about giving my chickens chicken and turkey carcasses. I did it and they loved it. Then came the day my favorite hen, my avatar, Primrose, got a small bone stuck in her crop which pierced it. She died rather quickly. Since then others have warned me of this possibility. I will never do that again. I do, however de-bone the meat and feed them and they LOVE it.

Back
Top Bottom