Do you feed your chickens meat....(like chicken)?

I also feed my chickens chicken if it's in leftover like soups or stews....but I also wonder because I know that mad cow disease is caused by feeding cattle to cattle I wonder if there is a possibility to pass on diseases.....Just a thought. I also think I would be grossed out to buy eggs or chickens from the store if I knew that they where recyling dead birds. Oh well.....

After I saw how my chickens CLEANED the ham bone off so thoroughly after Christmas, I knew I could feed them meat. Usually my dogs get those scraps, though. So, when the coop building crew were here, I picked us up some of those McNuggets and the chickens ate more of 'em than did we. It was fun to watch 'em. I won't be so hesitant any longer. I mean, I knew it wasn't a problem - I know chickens are omnivores! - but just hadn't had many meat scrap leftovers to share with the chickens.

I didn't get this size by leaving many leftovers.

They like tuna fish too. My DH gently steered me out of the store the other day when I asked the clerk if I could buy the whole tank full of comets (feeder gold ish). I think my girls would just go daffy if I brought them a bowl of water with gold fish in it.
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Mad cow disease is spread from cow to cow by them ingesting brain, central nervous system tissue, and the distal ileum (portion of the small intestine) of an infected cow.
Feeding your chickens cooked chicken is not going to create such an issue. I would be hesitant to feed them the brain or spinal cord of one of their own, but even that probably wouldn't be an problem.

Quote:
Exactly. But....

I'm more grossed out by knowing what goes into commercial chicken feed.
sickbyc.gif

Gritty, please never tell me what is in it. Kinda like hotdogs....I don't wanna know.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom