Do you give your chickens yogurt?

Do you feed your chickens dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese, ect.)?

• Yes

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Never tried it before, but would if I had extra

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters
I gave vanilla yogurt to my chickens a few times and also tried oatmeal once. Then I did more research on both and decided not to offer them again. I wet their feed to an oatmeal consistency and add colorful vegetable scraps as a warm treat, or make them scrambled eggs on especially cold nights. I also add a little apple cider vinegar to their water for digestive support, and also to help keep it fresh when it's being heated for consecutive days.

Like Red Star in RI, I have given scraps and left overs. I was once given a BUNCH of yogurt cups that were out of date - the chickens ate it and appeared to process it fine.

I have "homestead friends" that give the chickens (and the pigs) extra dairy from goats and cows. Most have never had any issues. All make their own yogurt(s), cheese, kefir, ice cream and creams from the milk they have...

When we have/get our own dairy goats (a few years in the future yet), my plan was to use some of the milk we don't use to mix the feed of the chickens. Sounds like I'll be doing more research, before this occurs... Could always give it to the pigs when we get them, LOL.

I do give yogurt occasionally as a treat, and they love it - especially the rooster! It's most often a leftover from a recipe, but I'll also grab Fage 2% low sugar yogurt when I have a sickly bird. It can disguise medicine, or serve as something enticing to keep them eating. I don't use it to provide calcium or probiotics - I have chicken-specific products for that.

Like Red Star in RI, I have given scraps and left overs. I was once given a BUNCH of yogurt cups that were out of date - the chickens ate it and appeared to process it fine.

I have "homestead friends" that give the chickens (and the pigs) extra dairy from goats and cows. Most have never had any issues. All make their own yogurt(s), cheese, kefir, ice cream and creams from the milk they have...

When we have/get our own dairy goats (a few years in the future yet), my plan was to use some of the milk we don't use to mix the feed of the chickens. Sounds like I'll be doing more research, before this occurs... Could always give it to the pigs when we get them, LOL.
Goat cheese is a great product, and not hard to do. Folks feed a bit of yogurt to chickens mainly for probiotic support - since the beneficial bacteria can win over some of the cooties they are exposed to. but only occasional use - as they don't process cow dairy well. Goat milk would be a very expensive was to grow your pigs!

Back
Top Bottom