Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Neighbor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Friend

• I do it my self

• Total voters
I vaccinate all of my animals, dogs, cats, horses, their yearly boosters except rabies. Any farm vet does not mind if you do it but the city vet is trying to make money so they would lecture that the vaccines that you order online is not as good as theirs even it is from the same company LOL! When a vet lectures me about it, it is bye bye vet.

Quote:
I don't know why I know in some states it is tho. So I might take a little road trip give the shot and then come home.

Documentation, If the Aspca or police or dogcatcher want to see your dogs shot record there will be a certificate from the vet
showing he/she has had his/her rabies shot..........this can keep you out of some of the trouble if your dog bites someone.

If you take a road trip to one of the three states that lets you give the shot it won't be admissable in your state since it is illegal.
I live in Texas and have thought many times of going to get the shots in Oklahoma, but it would be like not even getting them. except for the part that the dogs would be immune to rabies. They wouldn't be immune on paper.

I would love to give my dogs their shots at home but am worried about making sure that i give them a good quality vaccine. Is the 5 way that TSC typically a safe one? And does anyone know if Ohio is one of the states that you can give your own rabies shot? i've been researching this for quite sometime and haven't been able to find the answers. thanks

My dogs do not get shots and only get vet care if they need it, which they never have. They are fed high quality foods and get high quality care.

If I had a young pup like a Rotty which was predisposed to Parvo I would get the shots for they first year only.

My dogs do not run free and rabies is almost nonexistent here. Again, if I saw a reasonable risk I would consider the shots.

Jake is rescue mutt who got his puppy shots from the CT Human Society. I adopted Jenny at 17 and she had every shot possible, even Lyme, until she came to live here. She'll be 19 in June.

I've noticed my friends dogs, who are always at the vet, are always the sick ones, although many are purebreeds.

To the original question I would give my dogs shots myself if they needed them and I could acquire the vaccine.

Jenny is getting close to needed to be put down
sad.png
and I'm reviewing my options with that. I refuse to allow her final hours being a trip in the car to the vet. When it's time I feel I owe it to her to let her pass sleeping on her bed and as comfortable as possible.
sad.png

Quote:
I'm with you on that one PurpleChicken. I'll take the pups to the vet when necessary and I don't consider shots necessary. The exception is rabies and I only give that because it is the law and the dogs often travel with me. I don't consider rabies 'necessary', though, and it can do a lot of harm to dogs.

To answer the question, I had the rabies shots adminstered by the animal shelter. They are the cheapest in this area.

I do all my own, except rabies, and even with those I have one dog who wont let anyone else near him. I give his shot while the Vet watches.
We often take our "pet" animals to rabies clinics for the $5 shots rather than pay our regular Vet to do a Farm Call.

It's too much trouble to transport my Maremmas just to get a shot, since I have to use a trailer. They are too large to ride in the truck. I just try to time it so when my neighbor has the Vet out to vaccinate his horse, she can do my dogs too, and we split the costs

PURPLE CHICKEN - I agree. My dogs get shots as puppies and their first year. After that, no more. I think it's the biggest money making scheme ever. My vet has finally started to agree that dogs should not have shots more often than 3 years apart. I feel that since they have such a short life the vaccines are most likely good the entire 10 to 15 years.

Rabies is required by law. The 1 year and 3 year rabies shot is identical. This alone should tell you what a money making scheme these vaccinations are. Unless your dog is around many other dogs and out hunting wild critters I don't believe they need this level of vaccination. Our pets are becoming ill with allergies, sickness, cancer, etc. I wonder how much of that is due to people believing that all these vaccinations are necessary. I wouldn't allow myself or my children vaccinated yearly, why my dog?

I think everyone should do their own due diligence, but I personally won't subject any of my animals to this level of vaccination. Bottom line is - it's a dog. We love them and keep them safe, but IT'S A DOG. They have a short life span compared to us and are vaccinated 100 x's more than us. Hmmmm....

Quote:
It has to do with liability I think.

Our Humane Society does drive through clinics where a licensed vet or vet tech gives the shots. Rabies $10, annual combo shot $10.
We only get the rabies, and that's how we get it all legal.

[My dog is almost 3 and she's only had 1 shot. I am one of those that believes our pets (and kids) are over-vaccinated.]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom