Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Neighbor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Friend

• I do it my self

• Total voters
I have the vets do the main shots because the dogs have to go in for a tune-up each year anyways. Any shots above and beyond generally get done at home by me. I had a dog who had to have shots after orthopedic surgery and I just did them each day myself. I was a nurse, so I know how to give a decent injection. I wasn't going to haul a convalescing dog with a bum leg in to the vet each day. The vet and I both agreed that would be ridiculous.

My vet tech friend has told me some bad things about the effectiveness of feed store vaccines. Ordering from a catalog might be better, though. I go to the local no cost clinic for my animal's vaccines-I'm more confident in their technique than my own, and I don't worry as much about the quality of the vaccine.

Quote:
I agree with you 100%. For 8 years I owned and showed Chow Chows. They have some of the worst heath issues I have ever come across, and are at the top of the list for inherited diseases. At that point in my life, I was the -always-watchful-this-is-my-fur-kid-how-much-money-can-I-spend-on-eye-surgery-what-day-should-I-AI-for-this-breeding- type person. Now that I realized that this is largely WHY they are so afflicted with health problems. People interfered - too much.

Today I have changed the way I handle my dogs. Yes, first and foremost - they are *dogs*. Not Pointers.

Dogs.

I worm my dogs myself. I give all my own shots - except rabies. (I go to a clinic for that). I show and hunt. I have bred litters - of which; the mating was natural; the whelping was natural; and the raising of the puppies was natural. ** I shouldn't have to baby sit them.** I don't use the vet. Our local vet is a small-timer anyway. And If I have to intervene - then something is wrong with my breeding program and/or my dogs, and I won't do it again.

This is the way of my grandparents..

and they had healthy dogs.

ETA:
13020_winecountrybobpicture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom