Do you have a dog that hangs out with your chickens?

I would suggest not a hunting dog, but most dogs if you train them from a puppy, should be ok.
We have 3 dogs and they mostly ignore the chickens, but they're old now. We have a rat terrier and 2 mutts.
Here's just one of them checking out the baby turken. This one is funny cuz it likes to chase the dogs tails.
091.jpg

We have 3 dogs; a mixed terrier/poodle from animal services, and two rescued labradors. The mixed girl is completely trustworthy with chickens and spends a lot of time outside with them (her choice during the day0. The labradors took some time working with them, and now I only worry when I get new birds, otherwise they are okay with them. The yellow lab occassionally enjoys making the flock scatter. The dogs were here first, by the way, and I took the time to do research about and follow the advice of introducing dogs to chickens.

Daisy: Yorkie Poo? We don't care what she is, we love her to pieces!
94276_lunar_moth_demo_003.jpg

Last edited:
I have a German Shepherd that goes in and out of the fenced yard, where the chickens graze.
She does not attack them, but I can not have her outside when it is time to bring the chickens into the coop. That hunting instinct takes over when she sees the chickens running, and she chases them. She does not eat them or kill them. But she could pounce on one and hurt her that way.

So I just use common sense

I have 2 pyrenees/anatolians that stay with my ducks,chickens and rabbits.
Those dogs love kids,my male got a little worried when I had to catch all the drakes.My ducks stay over by the male (Jasper) ,I have muscovy hen who made her nest in his shelter.
My female (Neko) stays with the chickens.And I have a rabbit that hangs out with the ducks,dogs and sometimes the chickens.

Last edited:
my chocolate lab has lived with them for around 8-10 years now. Also have 6 cats that stay out there for mouse patrol.
Everyone who sees it is amazed at why the dog and cats dont eat the birds. Haha, it's simple, yes labs are bird dogs, but they were all raised around them and taught that they werent food or chew toys. She protects them now from all the wild critters we have around here in our massive swampy woods.
And everyone knows how well labs are with people and kids, they'll lick you to death is their only flaw.

My vote would be for a good female lab.

Wish I had a pic or two to post, but she'll actually let the cats and chickens sleep on her. Had many times where she's laying down and a group of juvies or chicks walk up and climb on her. And when it's cold out, the cats all pile up on top of her to sleep at night. Pretty cute...she's a very good girl, but was again taught to be that way from a puppy.

I am loving all the photos on this thread!
love.gif

I am the lady with the pugs that posted a picture. None of our dogs were pups when we got the chickens.
and the two rescue dogs are 13 years old and we have only had them 3 months. We were just very lucky to have dogs
with good temperments.

when the chicks were small, the dogs were MUCH more interested in them..and we would have had problems had we not supervised.
Now that the chickens are full grown, they all just hang out. The dogs will sniff the backsides of the chickens like another dog.
the chickens won't get out of the way for a dog walking through (hilarious) dogs and chickens will nap together on the loungers
and they fight over scraps thrown outside. The chickens do not back down.

Last edited:
haha, my few free rangers do the same thing with the scraps. They'll get right in there and peck their way threw the feeding frenzy to get to it...Yep it's pretty darn funny to watch

Back
Top Bottom