Do you have a favorite breed of dog?

Quote:
A pit will get along great with it's own dog family members. Mine shares her food bowl with my two long coated chihuahuas.....but no strange dog better step foot on this place or she will get pretty upset about it. Especially if it's another female dog.

I've met a few that aren't, usually it's same sex aggression though. I would even deal with crate and rotate if I had to, if problems developed later. I would prefer to rescue one and I know that there are some that are good with dogs. Just leery of rescuing after our GSD female disaster.
sad.png
Still healing from the heart-break I guess.

32bantam, eating is a good way to cull edible livestock if you are breeding for show quality. For dogs, you spay/neuter and place them in pet homes. I'm sure that there are some chicken breeders who sell as "pets" or backyard birds their non-show stock. But no reason not to eat it if they desire that as well.

There was a time when non-standard pups were killed at birth. Thankfully that isn't the case today, though I'm sure that someone somewhere still handles the "embarrassment" in that manner.

I love the GSD breed and have had several of them. My last three were working line East German and Czech bloodlines. I miss my Foenix so much. I am not looking to get another GSD, though I have been softening on that a little bit. My second choice is a Beauceron, which I plan on getting in the next year or so...hopefully...depends on a pregnancy or not.
roll.png
tongue.png

I also, like Elevan, like the Basenji breed. I have had them as well, they are very clean dogs with great personalities.

I LOVE Papillons and have had two of them as well. My one dog I have right now is a Pap, his name is Zeke. I can't imagine that I would ever be without a Papillon now that I have lived with two of them and know several others. They really are a wonderful breed.

DSCN0496.jpg

dogsxmasMedium.jpg

For me, it's ACDs - Australian Cattle Dogs or Australian Blue Heelers. But there are so many amazing, beautiful, intelligent breeds!

Here's our heeler, Talli.
love.gif
She's brilliant, great company, and excellent at herding cats and chickens.
wink.png

80987_pup.jpg
80987_img_9309.jpg

Quote:
Carolinagirl - those chis are NOT dumb! They are smart enough to have YOU at their beck and call! Lol, dodnt even try to say they don't, I know better!

Like you, I'd be hard pressed to pick one breed. I love the anatolians steadfastness and their silly personality they reserve for my eyes. I love my schipperke and his devil-may-care attitude and loyalty. My chesapeake is my good ol girl, never need a leash, never does anything wrong. I miss my chi, he was my lap baby with his big doe eyes and sweet nature.

There are also a lot of breeds I admire and love in certain contexts, but woulld never own.

I love catahoula leopard mixes! We have had two and they are the smartest and nicest type of dogs we've ever had. They are also very big unique looking dogs.

103859_dsc_0007.jpg

Last edited:
Love my Original Mountain Curs! They are born with a short tail, cur, & meaning curtailed. Old Yeller was a really a cur.... They are a tree dog, hunting squirrel & coon, even bobcat, & feral pig. They are very loyal and they have been trained not to bother the cats and chickens.

Axel
96682_ark_trip-farm_south_068.jpg

Jack
96682_jack_dog_snake_198.jpg

Jack will always help to find any rattlesnakes that are around, to help keep us safe!

They are more common around Arkansas, Tennesse, Louisiana, West Virginia, since they are an Old Settler breed along with the Fiest.

Last edited:
By far ACDs for me. This coming from the person who used to wonder why such a nasty dog even existed before actually owning them. They even replaced mutts for top place for me, though their lineage is mixed enough to count for me.
wink.png

IMG_4156.jpg

Gull_Dog_by_wadifahtook.jpg

She is mother and protector to everything in the house, and our English lop rabbit likes to sleep next to her to be groomed. Outside of the house, she is tireless yet always near.

Always want a heeler now, but really, really want a 'Cat' too when we have land.

Quote:
A pit will get along great with it's own dog family members. Mine shares her food bowl with my two long coated chihuahuas.....but no strange dog better step foot on this place or she will get pretty upset about it. Especially if it's another female dog.

I've met a few that aren't, usually it's same sex aggression though. I would even deal with crate and rotate if I had to, if problems developed later. I would prefer to rescue one and I know that there are some that are good with dogs. Just leery of rescuing after our GSD female disaster.
sad.png
Still healing from the heart-break I guess.

32bantam, eating is a good way to cull edible livestock if you are breeding for show quality. For dogs, you spay/neuter and place them in pet homes. I'm sure that there are some chicken breeders who sell as "pets" or backyard birds their non-show stock. But no reason not to eat it if they desire that as well.

There was a time when non-standard pups were killed at birth. Thankfully that isn't the case today, though I'm sure that someone somewhere still handles the "embarrassment" in that manner.

Pits can get along great with other dogs, but you have to be willing to dedicate alot of time (and energy!) to training them
smile.png

29831_img_0547.gif

Back
Top Bottom