Do you have to stay at home in order to have chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by R1M1, Sep 2, 2011.

1. R1M1

R1M1 New Egg

Sep 2, 2011
    I would like to get chickens however I work an 8 hour day 5 days a week. Is it possible to have chickens with this schedule? What about in the case of new chicks?

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    The biggest problem I have with not being home is predators. If you live in an area where there is something going to eat them, it just is a heavy blow to come home to a body wishing you were there to save them from the beast. They seem to do fine, otherwise. They haven't survived for thousands of years without some kind of smarts. My biggest problem is hawks, and once they find an easy meal, they won't leave.

3. ThomsonCentennialFarm

ThomsonCentennialFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Holliday, Missouri
    I have the same schedule (longer actually, because of commute) and we have 12 chickens and 28 chicks right now. It requires dedication and a commitment to getting up early in the morning and going out after work at night to feed, water, clean, and put them to bed. My schedule has changed a lot since getting chickens, much less television than before![​IMG]

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Haha!!! Sorry, but can't help but smile!!! Thanks [​IMG]

5. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I work 8 hours 5 days per week with a 1:15hr commute each way. It dosn't seem to bother my chickens.

My adults all have large coops with attached predator proof runs that they can go out in when I am not home. They do not free range.

As for chicks, as long as they have heat they can get away from if needed (a large brooder with a lamp on one end so they can self regulate thier temps), food, and water they are fine in their brooders.

6. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    5 days, ~8 hours a day. We had the coop
    built first and put the brooder in there, so the
    chicks were safe. The biggest concern was
    enough heat and enough cooling. They all
    survived and are thriving beautifully.
    YOU CAN DO IT!!![​IMG]

7. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    If you desire to have chickens, you will figure the best way to have the right amount of chickens. Space is a HUGE consideration. More natural space requires less cleanup time.

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sure you can, I own my own business and the hours are brutal and I manage just fine to keep all of my SQ breeders in top condition, I have over 100 birds that require about 30-60min of attention a day, it's not a problem whatsoever, it's a labor of love LOL. you can do it easy so go ahead and get you some LOL.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I figure if you can have kids and work full time, you can have chicks and work full time. That said, staying home and watching them all day is even better!

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    We rotate what we can all do in the house for the girls and we all do our job through the day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by