Do you have to stay at home in order to have chickens?

R1M1

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 2, 2011
I would like to get chickens however I work an 8 hour day 5 days a week. Is it possible to have chickens with this schedule? What about in the case of new chicks?

The biggest problem I have with not being home is predators. If you live in an area where there is something going to eat them, it just is a heavy blow to come home to a body wishing you were there to save them from the beast. They seem to do fine, otherwise. They haven't survived for thousands of years without some kind of smarts. My biggest problem is hawks, and once they find an easy meal, they won't leave.

I have the same schedule (longer actually, because of commute) and we have 12 chickens and 28 chicks right now. It requires dedication and a commitment to getting up early in the morning and going out after work at night to feed, water, clean, and put them to bed. My schedule has changed a lot since getting chickens, much less television than before!
smile.png

I work 8 hours 5 days per week with a 1:15hr commute each way. It dosn't seem to bother my chickens.

My adults all have large coops with attached predator proof runs that they can go out in when I am not home. They do not free range.

As for chicks, as long as they have heat they can get away from if needed (a large brooder with a lamp on one end so they can self regulate thier temps), food, and water they are fine in their brooders.

5 days, ~8 hours a day. We had the coop
built first and put the brooder in there, so the
chicks were safe. The biggest concern was
enough heat and enough cooling. They all
survived and are thriving beautifully.
YOU CAN DO IT!!!
thumbsup.gif

If you desire to have chickens, you will figure the best way to have the right amount of chickens. Space is a HUGE consideration. More natural space requires less cleanup time.

Sure you can, I own my own business and the hours are brutal and I manage just fine to keep all of my SQ breeders in top condition, I have over 100 birds that require about 30-60min of attention a day, it's not a problem whatsoever, it's a labor of love LOL. you can do it easy so go ahead and get you some LOL.

lau.gif

I figure if you can have kids and work full time, you can have chicks and work full time. That said, staying home and watching them all day is even better!

Back
Top Bottom