Do you know someone who is obsessed with video games?

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
A good friend of mine (Who I also live with during college) is obsessed with the game, World of Warcraft. I've played the game a few times on my brother's account, but I got bored very quickly. I know my friend definitely has a problem, and I have been successful in getting her out a bit more. She's very shy as it is and doesn't want to meet people in real life, but she has had "boyfriends" online through the game. A few times she has broken up with these guys (who she has never met in real life) and she was depressed for weeks. She usually stays up all night and sleeps most of the day. Luckily most of her classes are later and she doesn't miss them, but she usually sleep right up until its time to get up for the class. I honestly don't know how people can live like this, but apparently quite a few people do.

She will be 20 tomorrow and I hope that someday she'll start living a more normal lifestyle. If it weren't for my room mates and I, she would never go out of the apartment or see people other than her family. Unfortunately her mom allows her to play the game (And has been allowing so for quite some years). My friend has always been the obsessive type (First with Harry Potter, then with LOTR) but these obsessions never affected her lifestyle.

Does anyone else know someone who is always playing computer games? Seems like there are quite a few people out there like her. I just don't get it.

DH just walked in the door. Plopped his butt down on the sofa and turned on the PS-3. He plays Call of Duty non stop. DS is on his computer playing some zombie something. So yes, I know obsessed people!

DH's idea of "time together" = him at his computer, me at mine, and we just happen to be in the same room.

He can sit on his butt all day long playing some game or another and be happy doing it.

Me, yeah I like the internet, played a WOW-like game (see my avvy - that's my character), but I can't sit still inside all day when the sun is shining, there's animals to watch, or even if there's dishes to do. I'm a *doing* things kind of person. I get bored of the computer/tv after a while.

It's hard on the relationship. We had a big fight once and I almost left him over it. I threw away all his computer game CDs. He was better for about 2 years, seems like he's getting worse again now. Now he just plays online games no CD required - at least they are mostly free.
I have more or less just learned to do my own thing - without him.

He does hold down a job, and was the sole-source of income for the past 10 months when I was unemployed, so it's not all bad. He plays when he gets home from work, even if it cuts into his sleep time.
I just feel like I'm second fiddle to his computer most of the time, butI do love him a lot and the idea of leaving him hurts more than his computer does, so I just deal.

Last edited:
Escapism.

*waves card in air* I'm a card carrying member of this club. Have played WoW for 4.5 years. Hubs does too. So long as she is meeting the requirements of her life (going to class, turning in her work, etc.) not much you can really do except ask her to keep leaving Azeroth.
smile.png

However, you do eventually wake up and look around and remember that you used to have time to do X, Y, and Z but can't now because you've got to raid, or do this instance, or do this event, or, or, or.

I have cancelled my account several times over the years. I've also threated Hubs with bodily harm because I felt I was taking second place. (For the record, he chose me, not the computer.)

And, honestly, it is a misnomer to call it an obsessive personality. It is, in reality, an addictive personality. You get addicted to the rushes you get in game. And to the rush/thrill/excitment you get from interacting with other people online. Hubs and I have come to realize we are both this way. But we have also discussed that we would rather be addicted to a game that we can turn off and walk away from (even if we sometimes chose not to do so) than be addicted to a substance of some sort.

Best thing you can do for her, keep asking her to get out and do things. And try not to use the phrase "It is just a game." Because to her it isn't. It is a social outlet and more. I'll be honest, I've got friends all over the world now that I wouldn't have known without this game. We've actually started to plan a get together for the guild so we can all meet face to face.
smile.png

I do I have to point out DH works hard and it helps him unwind. DS is mostly a straight "A" student in honors classes and runs cross country for his school and also mountain bikes.

I don't like being on the computer all the time, but I'll admit there's one game I found (Morrowind) that makes me feel like someone with a problem. When I play it, I could swear to you I've only been on it for 30 minutes, but when I look at the clock, hours will have passed!
ep.gif

Now I set an alarm when I play so that I can keep better track of time . . . and I have to have a really obnoxious alarm, or else it doesn't register while I'm playing. It's weird how some games just suck you in like that.

Call of Duty - Nazi Zombies .................... LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Was a gamer as a kid, but lost interest.. Wife wants a Wii, but I know what will happen if we get one.. Same thing that happened when I finally relented and agreed to get satellite TV.

I'll play too much Wii, just like I've commenced to watching entirely too much TV..
hmm.png

I'm a little afraid that I'd throw the controller through something expensive, too, but that's just speculation.

Back
Top Bottom