Do you know what breed she is?

Cg is the grey gene. Ccg is semi grey. cgcg is grey. If she came from a feed store, she is more than most likely a broadbreast and genetics could be wonky since factories hold no color standard.
Thank you. That is very interesting.
My neighbor told me, this weekend, that Broad Breasted are sterile and so not to expect any babies from the two that I have. I thought that was kind of weird, because where would the next batch of Broad Breasted come from?
My two are 5 months old and, if they are the same as chickens, should start laying soon so hopefully I can prove him wrong. :)
But I guess if Carla is a broad breasted, then I would have already proven him wrong, since we already have five babies from her.
I have Carla (the black one), Pip (a Royal Palm), and Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum (Broadbreasted Whites) and then my Tom is a Royal Palm.
I honestly didn't intend on raising turkeys... my girlfriend bought the Tom and he was lonely so she said if I got him at least one girlfriend, I could have him. He is super sweet, follows me around the property and "Talks" to me. My neighbors think it is hilarious that he will answer me. They thought it was a fluke but he won't "answer" when they talk to him so I guess he is attached.

Broadbreast are not sterile, it's because toms get too large to mate naturally. Broadbreast are all AI in factories. I put a large heritage tom over a broadbreast hens and get excellent physique offspring, toms naturally mating capable and are 25-30 lbs at over a year old and are still healthy.

Broadbreast are not sterile, it's because toms get too large to mate naturally. Broadbreast are all AI in factories. I put a large heritage tom over a broadbreast hens and get excellent physique offspring, toms naturally mating capable and are 25-30 lbs at over a year old and are still healthy.
That makes sense. So then I am assuming that his telling me they don't live past 6-7 months is a lie, too? :) He is an older man who knows "everything"

When I bought her, I also bought a gray turkey (Ended up being a Tom, though, so we didn't keep him) they said "Slate", but I thought they were talking about the Grey one. I didn't realize there was a black slate as well.... I will have to see if the store remembers what turkeys they had last year... although I am not sure they will remember.
I suppose it doesn't really matter... the chicks are cute and we will probably end up with a ton of them.
Thanks, all!!
Blue Slate turkeys do not breed true. Mating Blue Slates can produce 50% Blue Slate, 25% Self Blue (aka Lavender) and 25% Black.

That makes sense. So then I am assuming that his telling me they don't live past 6-7 months is a lie, too? :) He is an older man who knows "everything"
Most broad breasted turkeys do not live past 6 to 7 months old because the vast majority of them are processed before then. There are people that with the proper feed, care and lots of exercise keep broad breasted alive for many years.

Most broad breasted turkeys do not live past 6 to 7 months old because the vast majority of them are processed before then. There are people that with the proper feed, care and lots of exercise keep broad breasted alive for many years.
Very interesting. Mine follow me around 4 acres, talking to me and pecking at strings on my shorts. They crack me up

Here is the chicken with the turkey chicks. She is being a great Mom... we will see how she does when they are all bigger than her :)
Mama Hen and her babies.jpg

Back
Top Bottom