Do you know what is wrong with Chickie's Feathers?

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB
Im not sure if they are getting worse, but this is how they look today, the feathers on top look sparse and one is broken off completely, all the others seem fine:
10007_feathers_better_shot.jpg

Ok, thanks Ill check for mites...only he would be pecking on himself since he is separated from the others. He is too mean to other chickens to be around them with out a barrier between them.

I just dont see any bugs of any kind. I wonder if he had them when the feathers first came in but now the mite/bugs are gone. Some of his feathers seem totally unaffected. I sure dont want to put any chemical pesticides on him unless I absolutely have to do so.

He eats a lot of cheese and corn plus chicken scratch, lentils, rice, wheat-berries, rye-berries, oat flakes and wheat flakes. I try a lot of different things. He also gets plenty of meal worms and we scrounge for grubs for him too.
When is was young I did not know what to feed him. I think he wasnt getting enough protein though I did feed him a lot of chicken when he was young. He seemed to love cooked carrots so he was eating mostly that when those first wing feathers came in. Im not sure of the breed but he is 7 months and I think an Australorp mix of some kind. It has been suggested he is mixed with Brahma.
10007_chickies_comb.jpg

Roost mites feed during the night. You might try using a flashlight a couple of hours after sunset. Check the base of the back and the vent area. You might also see them on the roost itself.

There are many effective products for controlling mites, but be thorough and retreat in 10 days to kill the newly hatched critters and break the life cycle.

One possibility is:

The location of the feathers and the fact you said he is aggressive, it could be battle damage. When a rooster hits someone or something, he hits with his wings too. He is stripping the feathers with each hit. This happens alot when an aggresive Roo is seperated and hits this side of his pen/cage trying to fight whoever is near.

Matt

Quote:
Oh man, thanks Matt. I bet that explains exactly what is happening to his feathers. Sure make more since than bugs eating him. Im sure I could see bugs if they were there. Chickie sleeps on my nordic track in the garage. It is covered with a towel that I change out regularly. No mites there that I have seen.

Quote:
Is that all he eats? So you don't provide a flock raiser type food? If so, could very well be nutritional. They need vitamins and minerals that may not be in the diet if he's not getting a regular feed. Without protein and methionine, feathers could have never devloped right.

Back
Top Bottom