Do you let your chickens out in the cold rain?

The chickens here go out of their coops everyday, no matter what the weather. Sometimes it takes them a while, particularly if it's hailing or very windy.
We don't get the endless days of rain and gray here thankfully. When it rains it's often accompanied by thunder and lightning and it absolutely tips down.
When I first started looking after the chickens here the Marans would stand out in the rain if it wasn't raining very hard. As each new generation has arrived they seem less inclined to stay out in the rain and seek cover.
I have a theory that hatchery chickens and some chickens from breeders do not appreciate the effect rain has on their ability to evade predators. A wet chicken is noticeably heavier and if rain has penetrated past their primary feathers their flying ability is greatly reduced.
These days and many generations on, all the chickens here seek shelter when it rains; a little drizzle is tolerated, full on rain isn't.

Just curious as it's getting colder out.

I have a covered run that they don't seem smart enough to stay in on their own in the rain. I know in summer they have no issue getting soaking wet, but I'm thinking I need to keep them in the run during a cold, soaking rain. They get so annoyed when I don't let them out though. :rolleyes:
As long as they have shelter available they should be fine.

Mine play in the rain and get soaked, I just let them because it's their thing. They can go in their coop at anytime but they don't. I'm thinking about making a shelter for them that is open on all sides but has a roof, I'm not even sure they'll use it.
WE did that a little hut so their food would stay dry in the rain...they love it some stay out there and some run to the coop for shelter.....

If it's just raining, then I let them out despite the temperature. They get mad when they don't get to free range. However, if it's crazy windy or storming or going to storm, I don't let them out of the run. This is because they hide in weird places on the property during storms and then I'm out there in the stormy dark with a flashlight trying to find birds so that they don't get eaten by coyotes when it's time for bedtime lockup.

TL;DR - it depends.

Mine have the choice of staying in, going out, going out but staying under the coop. They always go out! Sometimes during the hardest part of the pouring rain they will either go back in the coop or go under the coop or under a tarp that goes from the side of the coop to a fence a short distance away. I figure they have survived as a species this long, they can figure out what they need to do.

Back
Top Bottom