Do you let your chickens out in the cold rain?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sueby, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Sueby

Sueby Songster

Apr 23, 2019
    CT
    Just curious as it's getting colder out.

I have a covered run that they don't seem smart enough to stay in on their own in the rain. I know in summer they have no issue getting soaking wet, but I'm thinking I need to keep them in the run during a cold, soaking rain. They get so annoyed when I don't let them out though. :rolleyes:

2. BaaKaaawk

BaaKaaawk Crowing

Apr 4, 2011
    Huntersville, NC
    Mine don't mind the rain as long as it isn't pouring.

3. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    Mine play in the rain and get soaked, I just let them because it's their thing. They can go in their coop at anytime but they don't. I'm thinking about making a shelter for them that is open on all sides but has a roof, I'm not even sure they'll use it.

4. NHMountainMan

NHMountainMan Crowing

Feb 25, 2019
    New Hampshire
    My Coop
    I open the run door and let them decide. It’s a rainy , raw, cold in your bones kind of day today. And my entire flock is out wandering through the downpour.

5. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    It's down pouring over here and all my chickens look like drown rats, but they don't care :idunnoMy ducks are loving it because the whole yard is like a pond :gig

6. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Has been raining here for going on two full days. I have half covered run along with plastic on the walls. I wait till later now before opening the doors, but usually all go out for most the day. They have the option to go in anytime they want.

7. TwentyOneChickens

TwentyOneChickens Songster

Apr 9, 2019
    Maryland
    I don't let them free-range in the rain (it's raining rn and I kept them inside.) but they have the option to go outside in their fenced area (accessible from the run.) every day.

Mine love playing in the rain, and the only reason I don't let them free-range in the rain is because I don't want to herd them back inside while there's nasty weather.

8. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    My chickens live in Washington. It rains here. Might be easier to count the days it doesn't rain. :lau. I built an out door shelter for them so they could be outside and stay dry. They like to use it for dust baths, and will sometimes duck under in a downpour, but mostly just wander around in the rain. It doesn't seem to bother them.

9. Wee Farmer Sarah

Wee Farmer Sarah Free Ranging

Mine will go out in a light drizzle. Since I sit with them while they are out I won't sit through drenching rain. The other day when it was pouring one of my girls decided to sneak out when I was cleaning the coop. After she got thoroughly soaked, she was begging to get back into the dry run.

10. Henry&Friends

Henry&Friends Songster

May 6, 2018
    Mine don’t care about weather, when it’s raining I close the coop door a bit to keep some rain out but still let my birds in and out, although they never go in until it’s dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: