Do you let your chickens out in the cold rain?

Pics

Sueby

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Apr 23, 2019
CT
Just curious as it's getting colder out.

I have a covered run that they don't seem smart enough to stay in on their own in the rain. I know in summer they have no issue getting soaking wet, but I'm thinking I need to keep them in the run during a cold, soaking rain. They get so annoyed when I don't let them out though. :rolleyes:

My chickens live in Washington. It rains here. Might be easier to count the days it doesn't rain. :lau. I built an out door shelter for them so they could be outside and stay dry. They like to use it for dust baths, and will sometimes duck under in a downpour, but mostly just wander around in the rain. It doesn't seem to bother them.

I open the run door and let them decide. It’s a rainy , raw, cold in your bones kind of day today. And my entire flock is out wandering through the downpour.
It's down pouring over here and all my chickens look like drown rats, but they don't care :idunnoMy ducks are loving it because the whole yard is like a pond :gig

Just curious as it's getting colder out.

I have a covered run that they don't seem smart enough to stay in on their own in the rain. I know in summer they have no issue getting soaking wet, but I'm thinking I need to keep them in the run during a cold, soaking rain. They get so annoyed when I don't let them out though. :rolleyes:
I don't let them free-range in the rain (it's raining rn and I kept them inside.) but they have the option to go outside in their fenced area (accessible from the run.) every day.

Mine love playing in the rain, and the only reason I don't let them free-range in the rain is because I don't want to herd them back inside while there's nasty weather.

Back
Top Bottom