Do you let your chickens out in the cold rain?

Mine have the choice of staying in, going out, going out but staying under the coop. They always go out! Sometimes during the hardest part of the pouring rain they will either go back in the coop or go under the coop or under a tarp that goes from the side of the coop to a fence a short distance away. I figure they have survived as a species this long, they can figure out what they need to do.

IMG_5537.JPG

I'm thinking about making a shelter for them that is open on all sides but has a roof, I'm not even sure they'll use it.

I did that and they didn't use it at all. Mine have a 8x8 covered run attached to the coop but they prefer to go outside and get totally soaked. I too was worried about the wet feathers when its cold but......

I did that and they didn't use it at all. Mine have a 8x8 covered run attached to the coop but they prefer to go outside and get totally soaked. I too was worried about the wet feathers when its cold but......
I have a 7,000 sq ft fenced-in area for my chickens and they have a 8x8 coop. The fenced-in area has part of the woods in it so they can go under the trees, but there's really no leaves on the trees right now because they're all falling off... I used to be so worried about my chickens being cold, but I realized it was just me that was cold not them. My chickens are perfectly fine even in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom