Do you let your chickens out in the cold rain?

I'm thinking about making a shelter for them that is open on all sides but has a roof, I'm not even sure they'll use it.

I did that and they didn't use it at all. Mine have a 8x8 covered run attached to the coop but they prefer to go outside and get totally soaked. I too was worried about the wet feathers when its cold but......

I did that and they didn't use it at all. Mine have a 8x8 covered run attached to the coop but they prefer to go outside and get totally soaked. I too was worried about the wet feathers when its cold but......
I have a 7,000 sq ft fenced-in area for my chickens and they have a 8x8 coop. The fenced-in area has part of the woods in it so they can go under the trees, but there's really no leaves on the trees right now because they're all falling off... I used to be so worried about my chickens being cold, but I realized it was just me that was cold not them. My chickens are perfectly fine even in the winter.

Just curious as it's getting colder out.

I have a covered run that they don't seem smart enough to stay in on their own in the rain. I know in summer they have no issue getting soaking wet, but I'm thinking I need to keep them in the run during a cold, soaking rain. They get so annoyed when I don't let them out though. :rolleyes:
If your property has covered areas, then they will go under there if they want to get out of the rain. A lot of times, our chickens will gather under our front porch when it rains or they just won't leave the coop altogether. But if you feel as if it is too cold or rainy for them, it can't hurt to put them up for the night.

Back
Top Bottom