Do you let your chickens out in the rain?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Messipaw, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    WalkingOnSunshine--I've been reading a lot about using sand... I think I am going to try it as well after my next clean out. I'm going to put down a vinyl floor and use sand. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    My girls have the option to stay in or go out. Unless it's a deluge, they prefer to go out. The rain brings the worms to the top of the soil and they have a mini-feast!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Mine are out. They run for cover when it gets heavy, but then they come out with light rain. I think they know what they're doing.

4. ErikaSmit

ErikaSmit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    Mine forage in any weather, just not a fan of snow. :)

5. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010

Mine have a coop and covered run, the initial idea was that they would stay in the run but they free range now, when it rains they stay in the run with w very accusing look of why are you making water fall on us look, any bad weather is my fault!

1 person likes this.
  6. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Mine have the option to go out in the rain, and they do when it's drizzle but anything heavier than that, they head inside. I don't worry much about them being wet unless it's cold out or 'bedtime' - then I put on the heat lamps. They are still young - about 14 weeks - and I'm probably babying them more than they need. But they just look pathetic when they're wet .[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
  8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    A 14 week old chicken would be just fine with no heat lamp in 15 degrees below zero with snow. You're honestly not doing them any favors by heating them.

9. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Really? That's impressive. I guess it's time to put the lamp away, then. Thanks for that info.

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You should have seen my broody hen with her four-day-old chicks out foraging in the snow this March. They'd all go skittering around playing in the snow, then pop back under Mama to warm up. Remember, chickens are wearing down parkas 24/7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by