Do you let your chickens out in the rain?

WalkingOnSunshine--I've been reading a lot about using sand... I think I am going to try it as well after my next clean out. I'm going to put down a vinyl floor and use sand. I'll let you know how it goes.

do you let your chickens out in the rain? Mine go out in their pen and free range as well. Is them being in the rain bad?

Mine have a coop and covered run, the initial idea was that they would stay in the run but they free range now, when it rains they stay in the run with w very accusing look of why are you making water fall on us look, any bad weather is my fault!

Mine have the option to go out in the rain, and they do when it's drizzle but anything heavier than that, they head inside. I don't worry much about them being wet unless it's cold out or 'bedtime' - then I put on the heat lamps. They are still young - about 14 weeks - and I'm probably babying them more than they need. But they just look pathetic when they're wet .
hmm.png

Mine have the option to go out in the rain, and they do when it's drizzle but anything heavier than that, they head inside. I don't worry much about them being wet unless it's cold out or 'bedtime' - then I put on the heat lamps. They are still young - about 14 weeks - and I'm probably babying them more than they need. But they just look pathetic when they're wet .
hmm.png

A 14 week old chicken would be just fine with no heat lamp in 15 degrees below zero with snow. You're honestly not doing them any favors by heating them.

Really? That's impressive. I guess it's time to put the lamp away, then. Thanks for that info.

You should have seen my broody hen with her four-day-old chicks out foraging in the snow this March. They'd all go skittering around playing in the snow, then pop back under Mama to warm up. Remember, chickens are wearing down parkas 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom