Do you let your chickens out in the rain?

Chickens love going out in the rain as it is great worm catching weather. They do need to have access to run for cover, under a bush or table, even a patio umbrella.
Not only can Buff Orpington's tolerate the rain- they can tolerate floods(as mine have done on occasion) and... look at this.... they are apparently quite the swimmers.
yippiechickie.gif

Oh no way!!!! Did they get in on their own, or were they "helped"?

Oh no way!!!! Did they get in on their own, or were they "helped"?
Don't know, they don't look unhappy though. These are not my chickens, I found this picture on pinterest, and found it so intriguing I saved it. But I know from experience, that chickens do fine in water, as long as they have footing or aren't panicked. My coop has flooded a couple times, and my chickens were wading through the water almost to their chests- and they didn't have to be in the water at all- their hen house was above water. and FYI, Those little plastic chicken feeders float like little boats as long as they're not too full!

My chickens love the rain. They always ask to go out and forage when it rains because they know worms come out. I don't let them out during storms though and I think my pullets didn't get the memo that you can go in the coop when it's raining. They just stood out in the run looking sad and wet and I finally went out there and put them one by one in the coop and they all made noises like they had this almighty realization.
They don't stand out in the rain if they do t have to anymore. Haha

Mine don't spend any time in the coop during the day, even if there's a downpour. They hang out under the bushes and roost in the lower tree branches, but refuse to go in the coop till dark. A few of them spend rainy days running around as usual, never taking shelter. My EE roo squawks at them the whole time, lol!

This is so coo
Chickens love going out in the rain as it is great worm catching weather. They do need to have access to run for cover, under a bush or table, even a patio umbrella. Not only can Buff Orpington's tolerate the rain- they can tolerate floods(as mine have done on occasion) and... look at this.... they are apparently quite the swimmers.
yippiechickie.gif
l. Love it.

My chicks are 8-9 weeks old. I don't worry about them in the rain. They either go in the coop or lay under it for shelter. It's been so hot lately, it would do them good to get a little wet.

Im glad to hear that chickens can enjoy the rain,my babies r 3weeks, today is to be rain off an on,i have been letting them out of their coop they love it an r standing in a line to go out but my concern is their age,the outside temp this morning is 68 can I let them out or make them play inside? They didnt mind the sprinkle of rain yesterday,but I dont know if they will run back in,I dont want to loose them to a cold or something. Thanks for any info. Theresa

Back
Top Bottom