Do you let your chickens out in the rain?

You should have seen my broody hen with her four-day-old chicks out foraging in the snow this March. They'd all go skittering around playing in the snow, then pop back under Mama to warm up. Remember, chickens are wearing down parkas 24/7.

4 days? I guess I've been misled about the sturdiness of chicks. Wow.

Mine Love the rain. they run around and sing a little song and jump around. When its absolutley pouring I dont let them out though

4 days? I guess I've been misled about the sturdiness of chicks. Wow.

Chicks are tough little beasties. They don't need a heat lamp over their entire brooder, just a place where they can go to warm up if necessary and a place that's out of the wind. It doesn't even have to be a specific temperature (like 95 degrees the first week, 90 the second, stepping down) if you look at how the chicks behave. If the all huddle under the light, lower the light. If they all fall asleep in a circle around the edges of the light, raise the light. If they are sort of evenly scattered all over the brooder, everything is fine.

I used to do the stepped-down temperature thing, but then I saw how my broodies handled chicks and talked to some old-timers, and now I'm a lot more relaxed.

We've had some real downpours here lately. At times, they come into the carport and hang out. Other times, it's like they don't know what to do, so they hang out in the corner of the deck and house--right where 2 roofs combine to dump on their heads! The first time, newbie me picked them up and put them in the coop. Next time I carried a piece of lettuce and had them follow me to the carport. When I'm not home, DH just lets them get wet and stands in the door looking at them (they get quite loud, calling to him).

Chicks are tough little beasties. They don't need a heat lamp over their entire brooder, just a place where they can go to warm up if necessary and a place that's out of the wind. It doesn't even have to be a specific temperature (like 95 degrees the first week, 90 the second, stepping down) if you look at how the chicks behave. If the all huddle under the light, lower the light. If they all fall asleep in a circle around the edges of the light, raise the light. If they are sort of evenly scattered all over the brooder, everything is fine.

I used to do the stepped-down temperature thing, but then I saw how my broodies handled chicks and talked to some old-timers, and now I'm a lot more relaxed.

This right here is why I love these boards! Great tips - thank you!

my chicks will be given the option tomorrow of whether or not to go out side. It is supposed to storm all night and into tomorrow. I will go out and open their pop door, if they go out ok, if not that's ok too.....
As for mud in the run, I'm not sure what I'll come up with to keep it down.

my chicks will be given the option tomorrow of whether or not to go out side. It is supposed to storm all night and into tomorrow. I will go out and open their pop door, if they go out ok, if not that's ok too.....
As for mud in the run, I'm not sure what I'll come up with to keep it down.
We've had non stop rain this spring here on Ohio. My birds love going out in the rain, cuz its great worm catching!!! The chicks are handling it fine, though, they do like the option of getting under cover. For my chicks, the rain isn't so much the problem as the hawks. We've had a lot of Hawk activity dispite the rain. So, again, as long as they can seek cover....
I had to fill my outside coop with Hardwood Chips (not mulch) for footing. Its worked beautifully! Drains well, lasts forever, and some times free, from nearby tree people.
Patio umbrellas in or around the coop are also a life saver in this rain. FYI, chickens can swim!

I have 2 Buff Orpington's and i thought i read somewhere that they cant go out in the rain. Is this true?
Chickens love going out in the rain as it is great worm catching weather. They do need to have access to run for cover, under a bush or table, even a patio umbrella.
Not only can Buff Orpington's tolerate the rain- they can tolerate floods(as mine have done on occasion) and... look at this.... they are apparently quite the swimmers.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom