Do You Like Feather-Footed Chickens?

Feather-Footed Chickens: Yes or No?

• Total voters
@fluffycrow haha maybe it still differs from chicken to chicken individually? :p Chickens are so interesting

I would agree that it's line dependent. A hatchery quality brahma, with much less feather on the legs, a slimmer build, and a (potentially) different temperament will definitely differ from another brahma line

It could be that the breed here is slightly weaker than in the US; I have no idea if there are differences between chicken breeds over the world but I’d guess it would make sense. My friend also bought them from a place that might’ve been not the best place to buy them, which maybe caused them to be weaker.

Where are you located? Here in Greece, brahma are quite hardy, I have heard of a line that does poorly, but other than that, they're not any less capable of surviving, and thriving. My birds come from Turkish lines (or so I was told), and they are also very hardy

Where are you located? Here in Greece, brahma are quite hardy, I have heard of a line that does poorly, but other than that, they're not any less capable of surviving, and thriving. My birds come from Turkish lines (or so I was told), and they are also very hardy
I’m located in Belgium. They’re very popular but not hardy here, so I think they come from a different line. Maybe they’re also weaker on a younger age here, you can buy adults as well but they charge a lot more money for them compared to other chicken breeds.

I’m located in Belgium. They’re very popular but not hardy here, so I think they come from a different line. Maybe they’re also weaker on a younger age here, you can buy adults as well but they charge a lot more money for them compared to other chicken breeds.

They're quite expensive here as well, but out of all the rare breeds, they're probably the most popular. I would not know what is the case for young, pure brahma. My pure birds I got as adults. My mix was very vigorous as a chick, however

I used to be a solid no because of the cleanliness issue but thats changed. I have three bantam cochins and one d'uccle now and while I'm not over the top in love with feathered feet it's not a complete no I'll never get them ever aging thing anymore.

They're quite expensive here as well, but out of all the rare breeds, they're probably the most popular. I would not know what is the case for young, pure brahma. My pure birds I got as adults. My mix was very vigorous as a chick, however
That sounds so wonderful tho. If I’d get the chance, I would try to buy a bantam Brahma, but just one chicken of a different breed in a flock wouldn’t do to well from what I’ve heard.

Here is my Brahma, we just had rain yesterday and her feathers are clean. Besides the feathered feet her and my buff orps are my best layers and broodies
20240228_153109.jpg
20240228_153110.jpg
20240228_153116.jpg

My friend bought Brahma pullets last year, and all of them died because of coccidiosis. I did a quick research in my language and in several articles people stated that it wasn’t a very strong breed regarding sicknesses etc… I chose Barnevelders and Malines since people here say that they’re more resistant against parasites and all.
It doesn't take much for multiple chickens to die from coccidiosis, no matter their breed. It is a deadly disease that spreads quickly.

Back
Top Bottom