Do You Like Feather-Footed Chickens?

Feather-Footed Chickens: Yes or No?

• Total voters
JQuelen. I love her feather feet, it's rainy like you can't believe here but I have a thick layer of wood chips in the run and she gets to roam around in grass and forest, no issues....
IMG_5637.JPG

Since feathered feet went well with JQuelen, I had to get another of course. My Newbie, Indigo:
IMG_1262.JPG

It doesn't take much for multiple chickens to die from coccidiosis, no matter their breed. It is a deadly disease that spreads quickly.
The thing was that they also had another breed of chickens, same age, same hatchery. They also had it but didn’t have any symptoms nor did they die. I noticed my flock was having coccidiosis as well and I treated them, but none of them seemed sick or lethargic and none of them died as well.

The thing was that they also had another breed of chickens, same age, same hatchery. They also had it but didn’t have any symptoms nor did they die. I noticed my flock was having coccidiosis as well and I treated them, but none of them seemed sick or lethargic and none of them died as well.
Some lines have better immune systems and will survive better. Some do not and will die easy if they get sick.

My hatch on Halloween and Thanksgiving was like this. We got quite a bit of rain and it was muddy for a month. Babies where doing well out side till that happened. I lost almost all my Greenfire Spitzhaubens but almost none of the others I hatched. So I figure the Spitzhauben line out of Greenfire has not been bolstered by out crossing. It happens when we try to keep chickens pure and there are no other lines in our country to source from to bring in better immune system genes.

Different strains of the same breed can have different immunities to illnesses. I assume that your flock that died from coccidiosis was not bred to be as hardy as the ones who did not die.

I love feather footed chickens! Unfortunately I haven't really owned very many that had feathered feet. I had 2 Midnight Majesty Marans, but they don't have much feathers on their feet. I now have 4 young Barnyard Mix hens that have feathered feet, but they still don't have as much feathers on their feet as most purebreds do.
I have wanted some Faverolles for a while, and I'm finally going to get some in June.
There such an adorable breed! I love their feathered feet.

Some lines have better immune systems and will survive better. Some do not and will die easy if they get sick.

My hatch on Halloween and Thanksgiving was like this. We got quite a bit of rain and it was muddy for a month. Babies where doing well out side till that happened. I lost almost all my Greenfire Spitzhaubens but almost none of the others I hatched. So I figure the Spitzhauben line out of Greenfire has not been bolstered by out crossing. It happens when we try to keep chickens pure and there are no other lines in our country to source from to bring in better immune system genes.
Yeah I think the lines in my country in general aren’t that strong. People here really tend to keep their chickens very pure so there’s a lot of inbreeding.

Back
Top Bottom