Do you like mcmurray hatchery?

sarahloveschickens

Songster
11 Years
Oct 26, 2008
Poconos, PA
I ordered there this September everyone was healthy but 2 One was soo tiny like the size of a golf ball and it died the within a week and 1 bird was shipped to me with a broken leg :[ What are your opinions of mcmurray?

Quote:
Come on NYREDS, I'm very surprised and disappointed by you saying that. As an APA judge for 40+ years you must have more knowledge than I do about poultry and even I know that the incubation period for many diseases can be substantial.

Here is what the Merck Veterinary Manual says about AE: "Signs commonly appear at 7-10 days of age, although they may be present at hatching or delayed for several weeks." Notice while it says it is common to appear within 7-10 days that doesn't mean it can't be delayed for several weeks.

However, the main point I'd like to make is to disagree with your statement "whatever they died from wasn't the hatchery's fault". The fact is whether or not it was the hatcheries fault they should have stood behind their product if they want continued business. Frankly, I would make the case that MM was at fault because they chose to buy eggs from a source and then obviously hatch them without testing them for disease first. AE is transmitted both vertically and horizontally so it should have shown up in a test. However, for you to say that the hatchery has "done its job" by delivering a live chick to you is just plain wrong.

That is tantamount to saying that a car salesman who sells you a car that is working when it is driven off the lot has done their job if that car fails to quit working the next day.

And for all you folks, this is just one more reason why I emphasize that you must understand the goals of a hatchery and of a breeder. The goal of a hatchery is to make money. The goal of a breeder is to protect, preserve, and improve the breed amongst other things to the betterment of the breed.

I bought a Welsummer Trio from a breeder last year and less than two week after buying them the cockerel died of Lymphoid Leucosis (LL). I did a necropsy and consulted with the State Vet at the Extensioners Office. I don't recall what the incubation period is for LL but I think it is like 18 months to two years. The point is when I contacted the breeder and told him what happened, he immediately said he'd refund my money or replace the bird without any reluctance or hesitation on his part. That is the difference between someone who wants his reputation and his birds reputation to remain intact and someone who is just in it for the money based on mass volume sales.

Now having said that, I want to say that I have no idea whether MM was derelict or negligent. Everyone - and that includes businesses - can and do make mistakes and should be entitled to forgiveness when they do. MNKris got his money back. That says something about MM. As to the rudeness or "acting ignorant", I can't speak to. Unprofessionalism isn't ever justified but it is also subjective.

The key to this whole discussion is to know what each party does and why they do it. What does a hatchery do and why do they do it? What does a breeder do and why do they do it? Then ask yourself, what do I want and why do I want it? Then go with either the hatchery or breeder who will meet those needs and goals.

I just hope to God that this country would wake up and stop saying, "Well, I did my part so that's not my problem." If NYREDS is correct and hatcheries (or any other business) is not wrong by continuing to stand behind their product after it's delivered, then I shudder to think where this country will go.

I wonder, what would NYREDS and most of you do if you had a TV - refrigerator, stove, any major appliance, an animal of any kind or whatever - delivered to your house, then have it set up, turned on, proved to be working and operating correctly, and then have it just die on you two weeks later? How many of you would be contacting the seller to have them fix the problem, stand behind their product, and do the right thing?

God Bless,

Quote:
Oh wow ive heard of lots of ppl having problems with them u must be a lucky one
cool.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I like them and havent had any trouble. What was the total amount of birds you ordered and how many did they ship you?

We had great results, and had a really tricky order, one of this, one of that, 2 of this and two of that! They got it perfect, and only one bird had a problem, it developed cross bill as it got older, and they refunded our account, no questions asked.

Remember, when getting opinions, that if a person has a bad experience, they will tell 20 people, if they have a good, they will only tell 4! So, it is easy to hear lots of bad things about a huge place like McMurray.

Our birds are all big healthy back yard reps of thier breeds. One or two of the cochins may have been show type, but we dont show, so who knows!

Good Luck!

My very first chicks came from McMurray last May. I ordered 36, they sent 39, one was dead on arrival and then I lost 3 others in the following 2 days. So 35 made it to adulthood and the ones I kept are doing great and laying now. My free rare chick was a Blue Andalusian rooster.

My second order was from Ideal in Sept. I didnt lose any that time and am reordering from them again. But I wouldn't hesitate from ordering from McMurray again in the future, I really liked them. Their chickens are sweet natured and healthy.

Last edited:
We ordered from McMurray last spring and had good luck. 25 of 25 ordered were alive and females. We also got 1 free rare chick, that turned out to be a white cochin rooster.

Back
Top Bottom