Do you like pumpkins? What types of pumpkins do you grow? Any favorite varieties?

Do you love pumpkins?

• Total voters

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
I have many fond fall memories of picking pumpkins from our garden. We would use them for everything from carving, decor, pies, cakes, breads, cookies, pasta, soups and sauces. Pumpkins have always been my favorite thing to grow in the garden and naturally I wanted to continue the tradition of growing them with my children. My favorite to eat and grow are Musque De Provence. I think they are one of the prettiest and the tastiest. They also store very well over the winter, I have found them to be rather prolific growers, they can be eaten raw and are a family favorite! I've grown other varieties, but the Musque De Provence is the one I just can't get enough of. I know I can't be the only one out there who loves pumpkins and growing them! Do you like pumpkins? Do you grow them? What are your favorite varieties?

Just some of the many Musque De Provence currently growing this year in my garden:

PXL_20220805_192310217.jpg

PXL_20220805_192317728.jpg

PXL_20220805_192308330.jpg

I have never tried growing Kabochas. Actually now that I think of it I don't think I've ever tried them either🤔
I just got some kabocha seeds in the mail today! I'm sure they wouldn't have time to mature this season in Oklahoma, BUT... Last week I was cleaning out a huge patch of weeds in my yard, only leaving what little bermuda, white clover & dandelions there were. I was going to transplant some bermuda, but the light bulb came on & I said to myself, this looks like a great pumpkin patch! In went 3 "small sugar pumpkin" seeds. They came right up & are taking off nicely! I will have the best lawn ever! :D I can cover the vines with a tarp if we get an early frost this year. My chickens, pupsters & I all love pumpkin!!!

What are your favorite pumpkin varieties for making pumpkin pie? 🥧
Which do you think are the best varieties for pest and disease resistance?
Sorry for the late reply this past week has been filled with back to school shopping, school sign ups, doctors appointments, re-painting the entire house and getting ready for family visiting before school starts.

My top list for pies are (not in order of taste):

- Dickinson (Heirloom, rich taste that is similar to butternut squash).

- Kabocha (F1, Disease resistant, I am particularly fond of the "Winter Sweet" Kabocha).

- Porcelain Doll (F1 Disease resistant, very tasty and sweeter than many other varieties).

- Long Pie (Heirloom, also called the "Nantucket", mostly string less and have unique tubular shape).

-Long Island Cheese (Heirloom, I think it has a somewhat unique and very earthy taste which makes it also great for sauces, ravioli filling,sauteed up with mushrooms and of course its great if you like a savory tasting pumpkin pie).

-Winter Luxury (Heirloom, smaller variety, but has a very smooth silky texture).

-Pennsylvania Dutch Gooseneck (Heirloom, large goose neck shaped squash, more mild taste, adds almost a creaminess to pies, but not widely available).

- Musquee De Provence (Heirloom, have white spots on leaves that often get mistaken for powdery mildew however, i have had no issues with disease compared to other heirlooms, are absolutely fabulous taste wise, very sweet even raw and store very very well over winter).

-Black Futsu (Heirloom, adds a great almost nutty taste to dishes and pies).

I would love to turn my lawn into a pumpkin patch, but i don't think my husband would let me😅
Well, after 29 years of my Ex not letting me have chickens, or more than one pupster, we got rid of him! 8 chickens, 4 bunnies & 3 pupsters are way better! We can do what we like now! And the lawn--I mean pumpkin plants--are growing nicely! :D:):D

Back
Top Bottom