Do you like pumpkins? What types of pumpkins do you grow? Any favorite varieties?

Do you love pumpkins?

• Total voters

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
I have many fond fall memories of picking pumpkins from our garden. We would use them for everything from carving, decor, pies, cakes, breads, cookies, pasta, soups and sauces. Pumpkins have always been my favorite thing to grow in the garden and naturally I wanted to continue the tradition of growing them with my children. My favorite to eat and grow are Musque De Provence. I think they are one of the prettiest and the tastiest. They also store very well over the winter, I have found them to be rather prolific growers, they can be eaten raw and are a family favorite! I've grown other varieties, but the Musque De Provence is the one I just can't get enough of. I know I can't be the only one out there who loves pumpkins and growing them! Do you like pumpkins? Do you grow them? What are your favorite varieties?

Just some of the many Musque De Provence currently growing this year in my garden:

PXL_20220805_192310217.jpg

PXL_20220805_192317728.jpg

PXL_20220805_192308330.jpg

I don't actually like to eat pumpkins but I grow them every year, mostly for the chickens and to make pumpkin pie (which I do like!).
I grow baby bear and sugar baby for pie and austrian hulless for eating the seeds and to feed the chickens.
I'm sure your chickens love that! Pumpkin pie is amazing I could eat it every day.

I'm growing some Super Moon, Mini Harvest Blend, and Connecticut Field pumpkins.

I've never grown pumpkins before so we'll see how this works out. 😆

Do you have any tips on how to tell when pumpkins are ripe?
Thanks,

I'm growing some Super Moon, Mini Harvest Blend, and Connecticut Field pumpkins.

I've never grown pumpkins before so we'll see how this works out. 😆

Do you have any tips on how to tell when pumpkins are ripe?
Thanks,
Super Moons are very pretty and I love Connecticut Field Pumpkins for carving! They are ready to pick when they have reached full color of whatever they are supposed to mature to, the stem has started to turn brown, if you knock on it will sound hollow and if you grate your fingernail on the skin it should be firm not peeling easily.

Super Moons are very pretty and I love Connecticut Field Pumpkins for carving! They are ready to pick when they have reached full color of whatever they are supposed to mature to, the stem has started to turn brown, if you knock on it will sound hollow and if you grate your fingernail on the skin it should be firm not peeling easily.
Thank you for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom