Do you like this coop

Pay close attention to permanent ventilation at the tops of, or even above all walls and soffit if any. I did 1 sq ft for each 4 chickens. Have at least two windows that can be closed in cold weather and opened in warm weather for improved cooling and breathing. Also do not underestimate predators in your designing efforts. Hardware cloth mesh and not chicken wire.

Plan looked like roost was a bit close to roof (heat in warm weather) and nests a bit higher off of floor than needed. Make for easy egg collection on your part. Factor in rainfall and roof overhang to protect hinge area from rain runoff and leaking. May want to have enough overhang to cover you to when getting eggs? Make a good way to easily reach all parts of interior of coop from outside. Could have hinged roof with counter weight to expose entire interior when needed? use linoleum over OSB floor and deep litter over that. Use linoleum covered osb poop planks to make litter last longer and shorten daily cleanup time.

Rule of thumb for run is 10 sq ft/chicken minimum and the smaller it is the dirtier it is. I have 80 sq ft/chicken for my run. The more space they have the healthier they will be and you will have less bullying and fighting with a roomy coop and run. Do not make coop too short because the interior heat has to be up off of them for their sakes. Run both water and electricity to the coop and run areas. You will be glad you did.
smile.png

Last edited:
The picture shows 3 cooperative birds facing the front of the coop so that the poop will fall below them, but if the chickens decide to face the back they will the be pooping on each other, right? I agree that perhaps a 2x4 would make a better roost, too. (but what do I know? DH hasn't built my coop yet)

holy catfish! i'm building a coop too. i've been told not to have roosts at different heights. what is up with this?

and the nest box is too high. and make sure the darned thing is high enough. i've got mine sloping from 3' to 2'. placement of the roosts is a bear!

i didn't look at dimensions, but i'd put nest box on long side. putting it on the short side will cause all kinds of traffic issues.

check out my page for pic's if you like. i've got it together and just put primer on.

Back
Top Bottom