Do you like to exercise/workout?

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
I love it! Before I broke my neck, I was running 6 miles a day for 6 days a week, which is 36 miles a week. I raced in a few triathlons and 5-10k's. 3 years ago I broke my neck and I still have horrid pain and 2 herniated discs.

About 6 months ago I managed to start riding a stationary bike 10-15 minutes a day. I now can ride 20-30 minutes a day(4-5 days a week) max on good days. I must keep my upper half body still as possible to avoid extra pain and muscle spasms in my shoulders. After 3 years of my injury I still want to get up and run, but I barely can walk a few hundred feet without resting. I'm most grateful I now can ride the bike, I love very much to exercise and miss running terribly.

My dh loves exercising as well. He races and places in triathlons and 5-10k's. He also runs in marathons and completed 2 ironman's. I'm very jealous he is still able to preform in his activities.:p. Since I quit running, I put on a few pounds from being inactive. I'm working on shedding those pounds, but it's not easy at all since I'm very limited in my activities.

Do you like to exercise?

Last edited:
So sorry you have spinal issues - I know how frustrating that is, when it limits everything you can do. LOVE my stationary bike! I struggled for a long time to find an exercise I could do without pain, as I also have spinal issues. The bike is perfect low-impact exercise. I still can't run, though I do try to get in short walks when my back is doing ok. Started trying to get healthier (and lose those extra lbs) at the end of last year - made a lot of progress but still working on it.
lol.png

How did you break your neck? Owie!

Yes, I love to exercise, but I absolutely hate running. Couldn't do it anyway - a few years ago I ended up with plantar fasciitis, which required 9 months, cortisone injections, sleeping with a brace on my foot and physical therapy to get it to heal. It still bothers me if I do a lot of impact, such as jumping, even with my orthotics in my shoes. I don't think it ever goes away completely, so I have to be careful. (don't ever want to go through that pain again)

I alternate between aerobics classes (some involve weights, some don't) and an eliptical machine.

I like to exercise, but a few health issues make it not so fun all the time. I hike, bike, and walk and lift weights. I used to be obsessed about getting in shape when I was younger, but now I'm more focused on keeping my mobility and staying healthy as I get older.

Quote:
I broke my neck while playing with my kids. I was on my hands and knees chasing my 7 year old at the time. Hubby was playing too and was hiding, scared my daughter around the corner, she turned around running as fast as she could and we crashed full force head on. I knocked the wind out of my 7 year old and I heard a loud crunch in my neck. All went downhill since and I have permanent spinal nerve damage.

No, TABOO word!
lol.png

Around the house, doing chicken chores, gardening, going up and down the stairs with laundry baskets, taking and folding clothes off the clotheslines, yep, that is physical LOL!

Quote:
I broke my neck while playing with my kids. I was on my hands and knees chasing my 7 year old at the time. Hubby was playing too and was hiding, scared my daughter around the corner, she turned around running as fast as she could and we crashed full force head on. I knocked the wind out of my 7 year old and I heard a loud crunch in my neck. All went downhill since and I have permanent spinal nerve damage.

OMGosh...
sad.png

Quote:

OMG how awful! I bet your husband and daughter felt horrible.

Quote:
Me too
sad.png
Chores alone tire me out, not much left at the end of the day. I am currently forcing myself to run and hate every minute of it but I need to get my overall condition back up. Sitting in the stupid office all day doesn't help. I love to ride my horse, did mountain biking and did a lot of swimming, martial arts and cross country skiing- but I just hate hate hate running. Always feel like a hippotalamus running a 5k when I do my daily 1/2mile. The sight alone can't be pretty. Everything else I used to do I don’t have time for anymore so I must keep running...

Back
Top Bottom