Do you name your chickens and if so how do you choose their names.

Yes the ones I can tell apart. Some I name in groups because of this.

RIR Roo-Monster because he spreads out his neck feathers and tries to attack me but, he is too fat and doesn't make it off the ground too far. I laugh at him.

Ezmerelda-RIR. I know her because when she hatched her feet had gotten caught in the wire of the incubator probably for several days. I had to work with her for about two months on walking. I recognize her because she kinda high steps now.

Endora- Looks just like her sister but, doesn't high step and is kinda mean

Ms. Kitty-Red Star

Buff Orp Roo-Marshall Dillon
Buff Orp Twins-Peck and Fleck

Buff Orp X Red Star-Jabs because he jabs me when it is way past time for me to put out food.

Little Peep-White Leghorn, my mom claims him because he was my first hatch. Yep, incubated and hatched one egg. Mom felt sorry for him because he was alone and kept him in her pocket while small.

The Ninnies-Leghorn hens

The Omega Supremes- 4 black Jersey Giants

My own brand of sexlink hens 3- "Sexy Superstars"

Barred Rock Hens-Jailhouse twins

Mille Fleur D'uccles-Have not named yet because I've had them for only a few days.

I only have 2 girls ,bandy & leggy ,because they are.Still looking
for a name for my young light susex roo.
idunno.gif

I have great fun naming mine. Julio is the white cochin rooster -- he's always after the ladies thus Julio (as Iglesias); the three barred rocks are Oprah, Latifah and Connie(Condoleeza). Hillary is a black cochin who cackles all the time a la Hillary Clinton, RIRs are Rita(Hayworth), Little Red Hen and Lucy (Ball); Wyandottes are Dot and Doris, The other are named after friends...Sharon, Kay

Never named any in the past, but over on the Organic Gardening forums, it was decided that my rooster (in the avatar to the left) needed a name so a contest was held. He was dubbed "Buster the Chick Magnet.

Not sure if there was any connection, but soon after that, Buster went to the great free-range in the sky and all the hens quickly tore up their birth certificates.

Only named one since. When my current flock of Chantecler pullets were first turned loose into the run, only one was brave enough to leave the coop to hit the ground. Later, when the run door was opened to let them loose in the yard, that daring one was the first to leave the safety of the run. She was named Zena, Warrior Pullet.

Zena later decided to violate the don't ask, don't tell policy concerning roosters in my flock. (She told.) Day's later, Zero, the re-named, gender-confused rooster was shipped out.

I don't think I'll be naming any more chickens.

Wayne

Last edited:
We have four hens and four family members so we decided each person names a hen. Here is the outcome:

BR - my son named her "Victoria" because he collects insulators and "Victor" is a company that makes black and white porcelain insulators.

EE- my daughter named her "Frodette" because she is a fan of the lord of the rings, Frodo...

BlackAus: "Wilma" - the kids called her houdini because she likes to escape but my husband named her "Wilma" I guess cause he is a dork. And she is kindof a dork too...

EE - my job to name her, and I never did so the kids started calling her "L.C." which stands for "Lisa's Chicken"... well, it stuck and so now she is Elsie.

You have to name them!
wink.png

Shay20 and Kung Foo Chicken - Great Names!

We started out with nuggets and tenders. After they grew up we named a few.
Henry cuz he looks kingish
Gus - he looks like a Gus
Lonesome George cuz he is a loner
Dr Phil - He looks like a Smart _ss but is really dumb
Princess cuz she's a real cutie
Phoenix the cornish x escapee because she has cheated death so often.

She escaped the "death barn" and a friend adopted her They didn't have proper housing for a Minnesota winter so she almost froze to death when the weather got really cold. She was on her back with her feet in the air but came back. Her owner took pity and brought her to us. She didn't know how to be a chicken so her new flock nearly pecked her to death. She deserves that name and a place in our flock til she finally does die.

The buff orp hens are not named cuz we can't tell them apart.

Last edited:
Most of mine with names are after people i know-
Mother in law- loud grey guieana hen- pat
wifes friend(with permission)-stella
adopted son-blond- for blond- colton

We all name them. BUT when I let the boys (4&10) pick them out, I end up with names like BACTERIA, TUNA FISH, DIAHREA, etc. I try NOT to let them pick them anymore!!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom