Do you name your chickens and if so how do you choose their names.

I named my naked neck Fifi because she looks like she has a poodle hair cut.

Other than that, its by personality and/or looks.

Chirpy
Toadie
Lola & Sam
Puny & Fluffy
Big Red
Blondie
Fiona
Scrappy Do
Grover
Princess
Lucy
Wobbles
Ethel
Babs
Thelma

Etc.

Out of I don't know how many chickens, we only had Eagle Eye and Goldie when I was a kid growing up. Then I had Greedy, and #1, #2, etc. #1, #2, etc. kept making reappearances thru the years
smile.png

Now, I've been corrupted by BYC!! I've named some chickens
roll.png

And, I now know why Rhett&SarahsMom has an Olivia. I have an Olivia also and for the same reason. They are all named for actresses from long ago: Olivia, Edna May, Yvonne. I like the name Spring for a Chicken but she has turned out to just about the least favorite of the bunch. Funny, I don't remember Spring Byington as being so darn noisy
wink.png

Steve

I name mine too! They all have their own personality...it's so cute. I name mine right at hatch after watching them for a few minutes a name just pops out! LOL

Lily (Deceased)
Lola(Deceased)
Belle (Deceased)
Lexi
Bo Blu
Wendy
Tinker bell
Mary
Peter
Shelby
Krista (my daughters friend insisted one be named after her)
Alexandra
Addison
Violet
Steele
Henny (old hen for short)
Maya
Nala
Britney (deceased)
Nicole
Paris
Izzy
lacey
Olivia
Zoe
Kelly
Phoenix

Quote:
I am SO LOL! I just sold one of my 7 AustralOrp girls to a fellow BYCer, and I had named that hen Matilda (for Waltzing Matilda)! is that spooky or what? Or, let's just say great minds think alike! I'm proud to be in the company of MissJayne!
big_smile.png

I let Bf grandkids name our 10 female white leghorns. (not sure i woukd do that again)although a couple were ok.

Poachie
Sarah
Andrew
Pebbles
Bamm-bamm
Taco
Henrietta
Hakari
Foghorn
Thelma

We do

Princess - yellow japanese rooster (long story)
Marhta - Blue Lac Red Wyandotte rooster (longer story husband still laughing and telling everyon)
Belle - White Rock hen
Red - Wellsummer
Ebony - Barred Rock hen
Ivory - Barred Rock hen
Pumpkin - Orpinton
Sunny - Orpinton

The list goes on. It is easier to name them when you have them as chicks. We got over half of our flock from a orchard that ordered female only mix so the kids could see them grow up. They didn't want to keep them and gave them all away. I kept 1 and found homes for 20. I took in two Orpinton chick from a friend that came from a school project in Minneapolis.

Oh and our son told his second grade class that the chicks he brought in for show and tell were the ugly meat birds. "We don't kill them when they are cute." Yup, thought I would get a phone call on that one. The cornish are cute for the first week and then they are eating pooping machines.

Last edited:
OH yes! WE name all our kids.....

Freckles Bloodspitter the EE roo
Joaquin the phoenix roo

Arizona and Roberta = phoenix hes
Butter Puff (death by neighbors dog) and Naughty=red sex links
Bubbles, Freida, Fuzzy=EE hens
Ebony, Kisses, LaFonda=black sex link hens
Belina, Violet, Maybelline=RIR/NHR
Dotty, CC, Noodley or Shiver (whatever my 4yr old calls her at the time),Buddy,Lu-Lu=barred rocks
Touki, Hershey, Reese=brown leghorns

My kids named many of them.

yea mine all have names and mostly it's because it's easier than to try and describe each and every chicken I may be talking about, such as saying Goldie instead of the GLW or Big Bird instead of that little white silky. here are my names
Big Bird, because she is tiny and looks like Sessame Streets Big Bird, only white
Ebony, Blue/black silky
Truffles,black white EE
Cinnamon,cinnamon EE
Cocoa, cocoa EE
Goldie, GLW
Bertha, New Jersey Giant
Snowflake,white Plymouth Rock
Ruby, RIR
Charlotte,GLW/BR mix
Cornelieus, buff Silky Roo, so named after the princes in Thumbelina by my niece, who is also my avatar.
big_smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom