Do you name your chickens and if so how do you choose their names.

something to give a hint to what there name is,, lol,, "hand-held" used ta bite me till i held him in my hand,"pants" shakes the feathers round his Az .. looks like an old man shaking the ants outta his PANTS.... oh,, and the list goes on,,,lol
wink.png

All 15 birds have a name and I know them by heart. I find it so amusing to name them and train them to respond to their names. All are members of the family and will be treated as so. When one dies, it is a very sad and important day. The name will never be used again, even if I've only been calling the bird that name for a few days. Everyone matters in our flock.

Choosing a name is fun. All bird have a story that goes with their names.
lol.png
It's one of my favorite things about raising fowl.

I love to name my chickens! I like to wait until their name just strikes me, either based on looks or personality, or just a name that seems to fit. Right now I have a rooster named Big Sir because he's a huge stately Brahma boy.

My toddler named the Brahma pullet Jasmine II because her other Jasmine had to go to a new home last fall and she misses her badly, the new one looks just like the original.

We have a young WC black Polish roo who is just...if you saw him you'd get it--I named him Dr. Evil.

A splash Polish roo named Silver Bells, also by my toddler, because he was a silver chick that was so loud he sounded like high pitched bells ringing. We also got those chicks right at Christmas, so she was singing that song.

A black EE roo named Capitan Jack because he reminds me of a pirate.

We have quite a few pullets too, but they haven't yet found names. We just got a five of them, and the rest we got as chicks at the end of November...

I only name those that are notable for some reason....good broody, unique personality, roosters for breeding, best breeding hens or best layers. Probably only 1 in 8-10 of them get a name.

Favorite names are mix of things...

From songs:
Maggie Mae
Sarah

"Just Because" names:
Lena
Clara
Janie
Sweetie

French names:
Poulet Blanche (white chicken...LOL)
Ma Belle Amie (my beautiful girlfriend)
Petit Milan (little smart one)
Très Belle (beautiful girl)

From Greek mythology:
Cronus - A Titan, ruler of the world until he was dethroned by Zeus
Rhea - Mother of the gods, sister and wife of Cronus
Echo - Nymph who had a fling with Zeus, she fell in love with Narcissus
Hermes - God of riches, trade and good fortune
Adonis - The beautiful youth, and beloved of Aphrodite
Selene - Goddess of the Moon
Eros - God of love and sexual desire
Iris - Goddess of the rainbow

We use colored zip ties for leg banding. I often just call unnamed birds by the color of their zip tie:
Miss Blue
Miss Green
Orange Gal

I name my white and golden polish chickens after 80's rock stars due to their "big hair" ex: Axel and Rose, Motley, etc.

I name mine!
smile.png

Lippy
Leppy
Peppi
Snowflake
Diamond
Grape
Vincent
Woolybooger
Lil Blue
Splash
Waterfall
Rain
Droplet
Oliver
Apricot
Marmalade
Louie
Elvis
Linda
Ebony
Big Boy
Brianna
Sgt. Pepper
Alvin
Fuzzbutt
Martin
Ginger
BBQ
Sunshine
Midnight

That's all I can remember off hand.

I "try" to name mine that says something about them
I named my Hamhurgs Thelma, Louise and Ruth but they just get called the hamburg gangsters, My head hen is a NN and her name is Nancy, my other NN was a sole survivor of a bear attack and her name is Special, then theres the barred rocks, Barbie and Roxie, a rir named Rhoda and a buff orp named Angi, that was the ladies name we got her from.

I can't explain Wooleyburger.........
lau.gif

We didn't really name our chickens when we got them, but as our daughter got older she started to refer to them as their colors: Reddy, Whitey, Blacky, etc.

It's been fun to see her get creative as she got older. Now we have Alice, Ginger, and even some made up names like Saysa.

We wait for inspiration for a name to pop into our heads.
Our little black cochin roo is Beef Supreme. I love saying it, he is so little and cute and it is such a big name. I mostly call him Beef.
Beef Supreme:
16532_beef_supreme_side.jpg

The other one we say a lot is Gladys Kravitz- an EE who is everywhere and nosey like Samantha of Bewitched's neighbor
We have a big DUMB Langshan roo that started out as Sir Osis of Liver but recently became Sir Osis of Stupidity
There are more but they aren't as interesting

Back
Top Bottom