Do you name your guineas

How do you guys know your guineas apart? I can only tell my lavender guineas from the pearl grays. I used to name them when I only had like 5 but now with 15+ I can't keep track of them lol.
Originally I had 6 keets, 2 royal purple, 1 lav, 3 grays. I used the different colored leg rings to identify them once the grandson finished naming everyone. The rings are long gone now. I' d find them snapped apart in the yard. But by then I was able to tell them apart by a combination of sound, appearance, & personality. Now I recognize "voices" w/o even looking. Nugget sounds like a duck quacking, PJ has a deeper tone, etc. One of my female keets sounds like she has a horrible head cold. Lol

We don't eat our poultry, and my kids make sure they all have names, even if they're impossible to tell apart. But right now we only have four guineas: Snapper, Annabeth, Huckleberry, and Kitty, so we know who's who.

Sometimes the kids try to change their names, but I can never wrap my head around the new ones. I think they might be calling Annabeth "Blossom" now, but she's always Annabeth to me.

I agree with @My2butterflies ,if they stand out they get a name, like my white female that was the only egg that hatched out of eight I bought off Ebay, hence her name is Ebay and a few others with stories so they get names. My 10 young adults(4 guinea brooded and 6 garage brooded) are all very similarly pied and naming would be very confusing. Guinea are a taste treat for sure and I had planned on culling a few to get my ratio correct but I'm at 8 hens and 7 cocks which I feel is pretty good and i don't want to mess that up. But having just bought a 50# bag of white millet and shocked by the price rise $20 to $37 (anybody else get that) , I may change my tune😋
Manny,mo,jack.alldiffent colors had them for 5yrs so far.

A few years ago I had a trio Lavender guineas. Not all of them were named, even though I did get a couple to eat out of my hand. Then I got a rescue. Someone gave him to me because all his friends were carried off by eagles. So, I named him Eagle. He was a Lavender Guinea, too. Then, sometime later, I got some Pearls. One of the male Pearls was evil. On one side, he had half of a waddle. So, I named him Half-Waddle. Sadly one of my neighbors wasn't too happy about the guineas coming into their yard, and another wasn't too happy about them surrounding the little dog that she was walking. So the guineas had to go. Eagle didn't leave with them, though. A couple of months before I had to re-home the guineas, Eagle somehow broke his wing. My Mom tried to fix it, but he never could fly again. After all the other guineas left, Eagle befriended a voiceless Blue Wheaton Ameracana rooster named Simon. But, to everyone's sadness, Simon passed away. Then, sometime later, Eagle passed away with a broken heart. I remember finding him in the nesting box. After Simon passed, that's where Eagle always was. Sorry if this story makes anybody sad.

It helps a lot if the guineas are different colors. For pied birds, I look at their pattern and any shapes I see. Telling apart Pearl greys is particularly hard for me! I currently have five and can still find my older girls, but the new girls and boys are tough. They are young yet, so I’m hoping casque size and shape will eventually help there.

After color, I look at their casque size and shape. Some of mine look like a sharks fin (Welsh, Pearl, Victor), some more like an upright triangle (Viceroy), a pointy thorn (Ghost), or a cartoon bump on the head (Bruiser).
I have mostly pearl grays, with 2 lavenders and a purple guinea.

We were only going to name one... but then a fox ate her so we were like no never agin. Who were we kidding they had names in the end.

Kiwi, Crazy haired girl, the flightless girl, Crazy Boi, Sassy Girl, Chill Boy, and the only one alive and the daughter of Sas and Chill.... Chance May
rest in peacefully my babies.

Back
Top Bottom