Do you name your guineas

I feed Nutena gamebird/turkey grower right now with 21%protien and probably will till spring then back off the protein a little when all my guineas are adults.
That is my plan too. Since over half of my flock are juveniles I didn’t want to switch to all flock just yet.
We also give cracked corn and meal worms as treats. Not a lot or daily, but now and then I cave to their bagging. 🙈

I have four guineas at the moment -- one adult, and two smaller ones who aren't quite fully-grown yet.
The adult is Spook, son of Moltres and Zapdos, both of whom are now deceased. His "aunt," Articuno, is also deceased.
The little ones are from TSC. Female is Bagpipes, the two males are Snidely and Tourettes. Both of the little males have white feathers on their wings, but Bagpipes does not -- that's how I can tell the female from the males, but I can't yet tell the males from one another.

Now there's an assumption! I feed Nutena gamebird/turkey grower right now with 21%protien and probably will till spring then back off the protein a little when all my guineas are adults. Guineas is all I have. Millet is one of their treats so every late afternoon they are in their coop waiting for their treat. It makes my guinea life easy.
Didn't mean to assume. You joked about culling due to price of white millet, so thought you fed it exclusively. My bad...

I have four guineas at the moment -- one adult, and two smaller ones who aren't quite fully-grown yet.
The adult is Spook, son of Moltres and Zapdos, both of whom are now deceased. His "aunt," Articuno, is also deceased.
Love the legendary Pokemon names. They fit the guineas perfectly!

The little ones are from TSC. Female is Bagpipes, the two males are Snidely and Tourettes. Both of the little males have white feathers on their wings, but Bagpipes does not -- that's how I can tell the female from the males, but I can't yet tell the males from one another.
Funny names!!! :gig

I agree with @My2butterflies ,if they stand out they get a name, like my white female that was the only egg that hatched out of eight I bought off Ebay, hence her name is Ebay and a few others with stories so they get names. My 10 young adults(4 guinea brooded and 6 garage brooded) are all very similarly pied and naming would be very confusing. Guinea are a taste treat for sure and I had planned on culling a few to get my ratio correct but I'm at 8 hens and 7 cocks which I feel is pretty good and i don't want to mess that up. But having just bought a 50# bag of white millet and shocked by the price rise $20 to $37 (anybody else get that) , I may change my tune😋
We go through a lot of millet and sunflower seeds and... well lots more, for my husband’s obsession with feeding wild birds. The guineas get a little bit at bed time, about half the time, so kind of a drop in the bucket. I didn’t know that the price had gone up so much!
edited to add: I ended up adding too many Pearl grey and pied Pearl grey this year! We now have 4 Pearl grey females and 2 Pearl gray males. I can still find my two oldest Pearl grey hens, but can’t tell the rest apart right now. We also added one male and one female pied Pearl grey, and I’m struggling to tell them apart from my older two pied PG hens too!:idunno

We don't eat our poultry, and my kids make sure they all have names, even if they're impossible to tell apart. But right now we only have four guineas: Snapper, Annabeth, Huckleberry, and Kitty, so we know who's who.

Sometimes the kids try to change their names, but I can never wrap my head around the new ones. I think they might be calling Annabeth "Blossom" now, but she's always Annabeth to me.

We don't eat our poultry, and my kids make sure they all have names, even if they're impossible to tell apart. But right now we only have four guineas: Snapper, Annabeth, Huckleberry, and Kitty, so we know who's who.

Sometimes the kids try to change their names, but I can never wrap my head around the new ones. I think they might be calling Annabeth "Blossom" now, but she's always Annabeth to me.
I have a tendency to give two names, the one my daughter and I agreed upon, and then the one that comes to me later out of nowhere... I have Ghost-Thorn, Victor-Junior, HalfNHalf-Doublemint, Lacewing-Buckbeak, etc. Drives my daughter nuts, so then when I talk with her about the birds, I have to work from the name I now know them by back to their original name.. :gig .

Back
Top Bottom