Do you need a permit to own DOMESTIC ducks in Florida? IDEAL POULTRY SAID I HAVE TO HAVE A PERMIT FO

Yeahh... not pinioning my birds. They can move in with the chickens, since sooner or later their pen(it's nice and big, can fit 80 funn-sixe chickens comfortably) will be fenced in over top too.

Thank-you for your help. I'm too tired to ask anymore questions... *yawn*

Ok this is just to comfusing to me! I will just do what I have ben doing and hopefully in 5 yrs I will be out of florida and they can have all their crazy rules . All I can say is it take a handful of idoits to ruin life for the whole who take care of their birds and don't hurt anybody.

FireTigreis: your coops look awesome. :) mine happends to flood about ankle deep(unfortunately). But if I can get a hold of some cement, and 2 old gutters(think I spelled that wrong) I can fix that issue AND have autmatic water refilling, something which I have been wanting to do for a while.

So what I need to do:

- Fix the flooding issue

- fence over my coop

- clean nest boxes

- scrub my pools; bought 2 new ones a few weeks back and they already have slime! I clean them at the very least every other day or two.

And that's it I believe. Coop is 90% chainlink (the doors arent), wood and aluminum. Has red-brick and limestone bricks surrounding it. I have 3 or 4 holes that leak as well, but can be easily fixed. Jeesh, I needed to do these things already.

I guess the biggest issue at hand now is the flies, but by the time I bother with a permit everything will be caught up... ... ... and, maybe the grass in my yard will grow back(with all this rain, there's more grass than I've seen in years).

Oh I just noticed, but my prof. Pic is of my "duck coop". Except about 6.5 months ago. But the water comes in where the bucket is located. And through theroos between me(where I was standing in the other pen) and the ladder. It's not a large coop, but it could comfortably fit 12 or so ducks. Rightnow, I have 16 ducks and about 10 chickens and a guinea occasionally. I hate putting buckets in it, (cause of the mess it makes) so they fre range. I thought about the gutters from a school project and when I threw an empty bucket(much like the one u c) out the door. By chance it collected ONE NIGHTS rain and filled up! 10 gal. Bucket, btw. I'll tae a better picof the coop(s) tomorrow and maybe u can tell me what I can improve on.

Ok this is just to comfusing to me! I will just do what I have ben doing and hopefully in 5 yrs I will be out of florida and they can have all their crazy rules . All I can say is it take a handful of idoits to ruin life for the whole who take care of their birds and don't hurt anybody.

Which part? I'll try to help.

If you have non Pekin ducks- you need a permit, you may or may not need a permit for Muscovies as they are not covered by this particular rule and Muscovie regulations are being

to get a permit you must have a disaster plan (in case of mandatory evacuation), and an enclosed pen and/OR pinioned birds (depending on where you live and the current population of native wild ducks).

You must also have records of where your birds came from, and if you sell- where they are going, also births and deaths.

These records are simple and can be handwritten, just the name and license number (recommended to get address and phone number too) of who you buy from and sell to- also keep a page that list hatches(date and number) and another page with deaths(date and guess to why).

The FWC has the right to inspect your 'facility' (where the birds are kept) as part of the permit.

there are specific rules about how often a pen must be cleaned and how to clean and what to do with waste.

The whole thing is confusing I have 4 pekins two are crested 3 scovies the rest of my 30+ ducks are not Pekins they are 3 cambell, 5 swedish, 5 cayugas 3crested golden cascades, 2 crested runners and 5 rouens. they have free run of my chicken house they are not poinoin (sp) but you can't pay them to leave. I have ben showing selling ad hatching my ducks for 2 years. I hopefully will be moving out of florida in about 5 yrs. Where I keep my birds is my moms boyfriends and am limited on what can be built on his property. I can't put a cover over my whole chicken yard
I am so tried of every time I turn around you have to have a permit to do dome thing in florida with your own property. It is just bull poop. Next thing you know you'll need to get a permit to go to the rest room in your own house.

Last edited:
Unless your doing a lot of advertising and showing up for swaps, I say **** the license. I'm zoned county outside of Bunnell, Flagler County and at least in this area those laws are never enforced, but my area is small. I don't recommend displaying a bunch of ducks, geese, quail, pheasant, etc. at the swaps in barberville or bunnell, though- when the G-men crack down on stuff like that they don't give you any warning. They just take your birds away to be euthanized and leave you with a big fat fine. All it takes is 1 ******* to complain to FWC. There are a lot of strange exceptions to the game bird law, like no permit needed for toucans, bison, etc. You can also keep up to 49 bobwite quail without a permit, because they are native.

That said, craigslist is a good way to stay anonymous and sell ur game birds. This is an old thread but a front page google result for "selling ducks license Florida" so I figured I'd contribute. If anyone in my area is interested in chickens, I usually sell chicks locally- I got some laying breeds like RIR and Australorps- people buy a lot of sexed pullets. I got Egyptian Fayoumis; great foragers and they mature quick. I have O Shamo (wheaten) but they do all carry the recessive allele for mottled, my broodcock is mottled so the odds are good on the chicks. My wife has various Bantams as well. I sell about 50-100 birds a month, but most of them are layer pullets, again people in my small area haven't been interested in paying what my Orientals are worth.

I bet you and I live in the same area. I got rid of all my ducks. Just have some layers and a few show birds. About the permit is, best to do it. $ 50 a year isn't much. And honestly how many actually bother looking for "illegal" fowl.

Back
Top Bottom