Do you need to have a permit for...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickensRock96, Oct 10, 2010.

1. ChickensRock96

ChickensRock96 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Rapids
    Do you need to have a permit to sell eggs on here and ship them???how about with chicks and adult chickens???

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

It probably depends on what state you live in and what state you are shipping to.

3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    not from US, so might not be right... But in order to ship chicks and adult brids, you need to be NPIP

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Technically, i believe (i'm not an authority on this) you need to have NPIP certification to sell from state to state. Like i said, i'm not an authority. I think this is the case. NPIP is certified by your state; they have someone come out and test for certain diseases, and you pay for a certificate. Actually it's different in every state - with the certificate - so you'll need to call your extension office or someplace like that to determine the exact procedure.

As to the NPIP, i dont' think that state to state rule is really enforced, but some buyers will ask for a copy of it.

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    You'd need to check your state statutes. Shipping eggs into some states, at least, is highly regulated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by