Do you really need a permit for shipping?

Shamo Hybrid

Crowing
Jun 6, 2018
Like title says, do you REALLY need a permit for shipping live chickens? I've heard that some were able to successfully shipped chickens without even showing their permits or license or whatever the post office calls for.......... maybe some just don't bother to check even though it is required?

Have you guys shipped chickens before and whoever worked there never asked for it?

Like title says, do you REALLY need a permit for shipping live chickens? I've heard that some were able to successfully shipped chickens without even showing their permits or license or whatever the post office calls for.......... maybe some just don't bother to check even though it is required?

Have you guys shipped chickens before and whoever worked there never asked for it?
The post office is not in charge of the regulations for importing any live animals into a different state nor are they responsible for collecting the proper paper work. It would quickly put a stop to illegal shipments if they were the responsible department. Some states have made agreements with the post office to enforce the state laws but this is not the case with all states.

Every state has their own regulations which can be found under their agriculture rules and regulations. If the animals/birds can be considered game animals or game birds, there may also be regulations under the G&F Dept or DNR.

In order to legally ship animals or birds across state lines, the rules of the destination state must be adhered to and in some cases the rules of the state they are being shipped from also apply.

There are many cases of people illegally shipping hatching eggs across state lines without the proper permits or paperwork. When those people get caught (It does happen.), they end up in Federal Court because it involves crossing state lines.

I have shipped chickens to me and no they do not ask for permit to show at pickup just ID to match name on shipment.

The post office does not police permits here in KY. To cross state lines the shipping company must be NPIP certified. My Hatchery was. That was it. Please don’t add more regulation. Some things are on the honor system.

I think the regulation steps in more when it involves from one country to another.

Were you interested in shipping and just have not before or did someone tell you they would need permit to do it?

Last edited:
So if you ship birds within your own state, no permit is required? Only if you're shipping out of state will you need proper permits?
It depends on which state that you live in. Several states have regulations even for transactions within the state.

I would not be able to ship birds within my own state because the post office here sends everything out of state for sorting even if it is being delivered in the same town.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom