Do You Recognize Me?

Amiloo928

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
Kansas City
TSC told me the three chicks I bought were Calico Princess. From what I’ve read about the bread, they are sex-linked, which would mean that there is almost zero chance a boy would get mixed up with the girls. However, as chicks they all looked identical, almost exactly like my Comet babies. And yet, at 10 weeks old, this little one has quite a red comb and wattles, while the other two have barely begun to develop their combs, and they are still a very pale pink. I am thinking this chick is a cockerel, but that doesn’t make sense with what breed I was told they are.

If anyone with more knowledge and experience has some bit of info to offer that might aid in solving this mystery I would be very grateful! I am hoping to sell this one, but do not want to give false info about what I’m selling.

Thank you in advance!
9802AD21-B6E9-467F-BEF9-5DD0A362EC5A.jpeg

That is definitely a production red, or what hatcheries label as Rhode island reds. It is not any type of RSL because they are lighter red, almost orange, and each feather usually has white below the red. Definitely not a CP.
I am not sure if it is a cockerel or pullet. I want to say cockerel because of the comb and wattles but I have been tricked by my own birds a few times...
35919485_992820130894104_6699502447448031232_n.jpg

I thought this was a for sure cockerel at 5 weeks, she had very noticeable comb and wattle development for her age. She did turn out to be a pullet surprisingly. She is expected to lay in a few weeks now...

What is the difference between a RIR and a Production Red? We have one RIR in our flock already. She has black tips on her tail feathers, and is otherwise a rich rust color. This bird is about the same color as our Golden Comet, but with black tips on the wing feathers, and no white.

There is not a big difference. Production reds are RIRs that had their gene pool messed up because hatcheries crossed them with New Hampshire Reds, which is a very similar breed that was produced from RIRs. Anyways, production reds do not have the rich mahogany color that actual RIRs have. If you got your RIR from a hatchery or feed store then it is most likely a Production Red.

Back
Top Bottom