Do you remember all your past chickens years later?

Of my in-town flock I remember best Marion, my Light Brahma rooster who escaped Freezer Camp by pretending to be Rosemary until after I butchered the packing peanuts.

I actually remember Vinnie, the only one of "The Red Boys" I could tell apart from the others. He was one of those bold, curious young cockerels who liked human attention -- and undoubtedly would have turned into a terror when the hormones hit if he hadn't turned into a good pot of chicken and rice.

Kiev was my Dark Brahma who would beg to be picked up and carried -- until she went broody the first time and became the vicious defender of eggs. She actually managed to hide an egg from me long enough to hatch it.

Dumpling, the bigger of the 2 Delawares, was a champion layer of XL eggs.

Yes, I remember all the chickens I’ve had--- and their names....of course I have plenty of photos of them. It helps that I didn’t have very many at a time 4, up to 13.
Here are my 1st chicks, I had picked them up from a nearby hatchery (2015 so not all that long ago)....
first chicks in box (3 of 1).jpg

Yeah, some of them. I keep a poultry journal, but I don't always remember to write in it.
My first flock was the most memorable.
Meanie #1 the Black Star hen who grew spurs and crowed.
Meanie #2, my other Black Star hen, who was attacked by a raccoon (that attempted to decapitate her) and survived. Then she was bitten by a dog and got fly strike and survived (and I somehow survived treating her 🤢).
Blackey the Silver-laced Wyandotte who was still laying at 7 years old. She was very irritated by the youngsters.
Lacy the Silver-laced Wyandotte pecked the bottom feathers of her flockmates until they had none left.
Bonner the RIR hen was mostly friendly, but would attack people if they went to pick up one of her flockmates.

Back
Top Bottom