Do you remove your shoes when you enter a house? Why or why not?

Do you remove your shoes when you enter a house?

• Yes.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • It depends.

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Criskin

Lost somewhere in a book
10 Years
May 19, 2009
The cabin beside the lake
This is something I never really thought about before I had children. Growing up, we always wore our shoes inside, if we even bothered wearing shoes outside. After I became a mom and had babies crawling all over, I became a little more obsessive about clean floors. The thought of someone tracking in human or animal waste, pesticides, or other ickiness bothered me so much that I insisted everyone remove their shoes at the door, stinky feet or not. My husband, on the other hand, has always been obsessive about taking his shoes off at the door and kind of gets annoyed when people don't. His family has always had a "no shoes inside" policy, though I think it was more to save my MIL's carpets from her 4 children rather than for sanitary reasons. I've read articles that say it is much healtheir not to wear shoes indoors and I've also seen it discussed as a cultural issue. Apparently more people in continental European and Asian countries remove their shoes as a rule while most Americans, Brits and Australians don't. I always remove my shoes when I come inside my own home and at other people's homes I follow their lead, though I have to admit it even bothers me to wear shoes in someone else's house. I normally insist people remove their shoes in my own home (and sort of feel like Hyacinth Bucket when I do so) but if someone comes in without removing their shoes before I can request it, I don't say anything and then sweep, mop and disinfect the minute they leave. It has become almost obsessive compulsive. I do have an indoor/outdoor dog, but since she never leaves the fenced in yard I know she isn't tracking in human waste or pesticide. I've noticed that my family rarely bothers to remove their shoes when coming indoors, while my husband's family is divided halfway on the issue. I've been spending a lot of time monitoring feet lately! Anyway, I was curious to know how my fellow BYCers feel about the issue. I know we have members from all over the world, so it should be interesting to know what you do and why you do it!

By preference I want all shoes removed to reduce tracked in dirt. I had to give up the fight though as DH NEVER takes off his boots and always forgets something in the house while getting ready for work. Bugs the heck out of me but not worth the fighting.

I definitely think it's part cultural. My finance is Asian and shoes inside is thought of as disrespectful. I generally look when I first walk in. Most households that have a no shoes policy keep their shoes on a rack or lined up by the door. If I see shoes, I always remove mine. Sometimes I just do it out of habit now.

The rule in our house and farm.
Boots or street shoes off in the Mud room.
Sandals,slip ons or inside shoes for the house.
These are waiting at the entrance into the house.
Bare socks are good also, however we have hardwood floors.
Dogs stay in the mud room and have feet washed in a walk through pan.
Where they stay until their paws are dry.

I understand the obsession completely, I have it too! When I was growing up and we lived in town my family wore shoes in the house. Once I got married and we moved to a place in the country all that stopped for practical reasons, especially once kids came along. There is just no way work/barn boots/play shoes are coming in my house and tracking all over my floors! When guests come to my house I do not request that they removed their shoes but I can't help but give the shoes a close look, though I've never had anybody come in wearing dirty shoes. We live in a farming community and those who do happen to drop by the house still in work clothes and boots will knock on my door and then retreat down the sidewalk and wait for me to come out, it seems to be a given by most of them that you just don't track into somebody's house with dirty shoes. When family comes to visit they all know the rules and leave shoes at the door. When I visit someone elses house I usually just remove shoes because it's my habit but I try to take note of what the family does and follow suit.

Yes, but I think a lot of it is cultural. I think people raised in a city or suburb are less likely to remove their shoes when they enter a home. My kids have always removed their shoes, and when we installed hardwood my husband started to remove his shoes. The kids and I go barefooted or stocking-footed, and dh wears slippers. I grew up in southeast Alaska, where it is almost always wet. Nobody wore their shoes inside. When I was a kid, people always entered a house through a porch, mudroom or wanigan (look it up, folks). The shoes went off their, and stayed off. Some people wore house shoes, some did not. I don't think I entered a home by the front door until I was a teenager.

When my kids were little, I always had them take off their shoes when they went to a friend's house. I find myself annoyed when their friends do not do the same at my house. I don't mind if adults leave on their shoes.

If they have carpet, then it's a matter of respect for other peoples property. Although my SIL has walked into our house and traipsed mud all over our tile floors.

Barn shoes stay in the back room as do two of the dogs. Slippers or clogs in the house, not really a rule, just common sense. I have to have something on my feet, I feel so ill equipped barefoot, plus this is an old hardwood farmhouse with many drafts. I had to remove my shoes at one of my mother's friend's house and felt it was so hypocritical because the floor was very dirty, I didn't want my bare feet in that!

Yes, all family and friends remove shoes.If they want they can wear indoor only slippers or flip flops,but NEVER walk around the house in outdoor shoes. I wish I had some booties for workers who come into the house.

Heck I will even wipe the dogs feet off. I see his tracks on the kitchen floor,and having those muddy(possible poo covered) feet on my couch is a no go.

Back
Top Bottom