do you scrape your droppings board in winter?

In warmer weather grass clippings would do a great job for making a poop plank easier to clean. I know that they work great for nests and litter both, and they are free.
wink.png

Great idea about the feed bags - I keep horses, and have an endless supply of heavy plastic bags for their stall pellets. I've been using them to fill with manure for my gardening friends without trucks, but I like the bag idea better than using a light plastic mat.

the shower curtain would be flat on the droppings board. I will definitely use DE to get the 'concrete' off first
wink.png
I was searching for a solution on how to clean the poop off my vinyl covered poop boards now that it is so cold it all freezes like a brick. Did the shower curtain approach work or what did you end up doing? I have been cleaning every day with a scrapper and then finishing with a wet rag. The freezing weather has screwed up my routine.

I covered my poop boards with vinyl flooring friction fit. I simply pick it up and give it a flex and everything slide off into my compost bin. Same with my feed bag in the nest boxes easy to clean when every thing is frozen. Just pull off the bag from the chicken patty.

Easy Peasy!!
Unfortunately I nailed the vinyl flooring to the board in the heat of June. In addition to the frozen state of the poop, when it is cold all the chickens stay in the coop so I am trying to clean with a huge audience who want to use me as a roost! Thanks for your quick reply.

Maybe the pop will get harder to remove as the days get colder (subject to -40º). It is working like a charm so far. This is my first year with the friction fit vinyl flooring over my boards. I hold the vinyl flooring in place with 2 bulldog clips. Similar to this.

Last edited:
Instead of vinyl I use this smooth white bathroom? paneling. It is slicker and smoother than vinyl. I think it is hardboard coated with a substance similar to a dry erase marker board. It literally takes me seconds to scrape it with a plastic putty knife (so as not to damage the surface) Now I do not have freezing problems often, but I can't imagine it sticking to this paneling. Here is a pic:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom