Do you sell roosters?

I wouldn't expect anyone to pay for a mutt rooster. I was able to sell one of my cockerels because he was purebred with good genes. The other, a hatchery-quality RIR, I gave away for free.

I sold my Spitzhauben cockerels for $5 each. I sold old hens for $5 each. I’m going to ask $2 for the bantams, they are EE’s. Often, birds are bought by someone who will resell them for more, I have no objection. I don’t want to sit there all day, and I don’t want to bring them home.

Nobody wants a mutt rooster, so the best thing is to have a delicious healthy meal from him/them.
Not always true, most of the roosters I sell are mutts. They sell faster than my purebred roosters.
Edit: I sell mutts (bantam or occasional standard) for $5 each if they are 4+ or $3 each if the are younger. My purebred very in price.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect anyone to pay for a mutt rooster. I was able to sell one of my cockerels because he was purebred with good genes. The other, a hatchery-quality RIR, I gave away for free.
The people claimed to need him for protection and I was kind of iffy and asked for 5$ for him and they said no. It wasn't about the money it was about weeding out intentions. I'd gladly give them away to someone I knew and trusted.

Don't complain all your chickens are going missing and you don't want to spend $5 on a rooster. That shows me you're really not spending too much time worried about your chickens.

The people claimed to need him for protection and I was kind of iffy and asked for 5$ for him and they said no. It wasn't about the money it was about weeding out intentions. I'd gladly give them away to someone I knew and trusted.

Don't complain all your chickens are going missing and you don't want to spend $5 on a rooster. That shows me you're really not spending too much time worried about your chickens.
Even if they got a rooster, it's not going to guarantee they stop losing hens. I don't get why people seem convinced that a rooster will suddenly magically repell all predators away from the coop. At best, it likely will just mean that the next bird taken is the male and not the hen, but then they need another rooster.

I used to sell and give away my males, depending on if I was comfortable processing that individual male. There were some I held onto for over a year before giving away because I wanted to make sure they went to a home that wouldn't immediately turn around and butcher them.

Even if they got a rooster, it's not going to guarantee they stop losing hens. I don't get why people seem convinced that a rooster will suddenly magically repell all predators away from the coop. At best, it likely will just mean that the next bird taken is the male and not the hen, but then they need another rooster.

I used to sell and give away my males, depending on if I was comfortable processing that individual male. There were some I held onto for over a year before giving away because I wanted to make sure they went to a home that wouldn't immediately turn around and butcher them.
I agree to an extent. I had one rooster fight off a hawk who tried to grab a hen and then a bald eagle land in the trees over the chickens and the roosters sounded the alarm and all the hens ran back into the coop.

Roosters are good protection even if that means they're just the sacrificial lamb who gets dragged away. If hens are more valuable then being the sacrificial lamb has to add a bit of value to roosters? That's an argument to keep more around not expect them for free.

I get that everyone's trying to rehome roosters and you can't have too many because you need to have a healthy roo/hen ratio but I'm not crazy about people expecting someone to give animals away for free that someone put time and money into getting to adulthood.

Nothings free anymore. My coop is more secure than my house. Keeping chickens safe is a lot of work.

Last edited:
There's no market for roosters. Every town in my country has dozens of free roosters listed on craigslist 24/7

I'd rather eat all of them myself rather than give them for free to meth-goblins that fight small animals for amusement

That is a good point. I think you did the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom