Do you sell roosters?

We give cockerels away for free unless they are good examples of a rare breed. Ideally, as soon as I know they're not a keeper, to reduce feed costs.

I just talk to people to find out their plans. If the boys have redeeming features, we try to get them a good situation.
Real Ameraucana roos are the easiest for that because a lot of people want to play with the blue egg gene.
But if it's a mean roo, I'm quite happy to see it go to someone who wants to eat it. There are hungry people out there.
There's one guy who answered my add for a good roo and when I checked he wanted him for food. So, I said, "not this one, but we have others" and he's been back several times. It works well for everyone :)

Then that's the market isn't it? If people pay money for meat at the store, why wouldn't you charge money for someone looking to butcher?
I've found that most people who butcher on their own either raise the birds themselves or have a friend do it for them, sharing the associated costs. It's much more cost-effective. For the rest of the potential meat buyers, having to pay even a few dollars for a chicken means investing more than they would pay at WalMart for an oven-ready bird. They are preying on your heart - and your wallet - for a cheap meal.
Then, there are those who think illegal cockfighting is good, plain fun. Free roosters are expendable - no investment, no loss!
That's not to say there aren't good homes to be had, but if I can't find one for my boys, they stay. That's why I keep a small rooster flock. Luckily, I have the set-up and space to do it. It took some finagling and some sweat equity, but the financial output was minimal. More importantly, my boys have a good home for as long as they need it ... and I have gorgeous "Chicken TV" for the cost of their feed. To me, it's cheaper - and more fun - than cable!

I don't put out ads for 'selling' my cockerels, I indicate that I want to swap them with pullets. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes someone would contact me and offer me money because they don't want to be part with their pullets.
I will never give out my cockerels/roosters away for free to strangers, only to my friends who can offer a place for the birds on their farm, because I believe that the more a bird costs you, the more you will treasure the bird.
I also offer full refund to anyone who have purchased my cockerels - if they are unhappy with the bird for any reasons, I will offer a buy back as long as the bird is alive.
The main reason why I sell my cockerels is because I have more boys than girls, those cockerels will only have a chance with some ladies if they go to someone else household. Otherwise they can live happily to the end on our farm.

So I let a broody hen hatch 5 chicks 5 months ago and 4 of them turned out to be roosters. I am open to rehoming them but I am a little attached because I raised them. They're not mean and already great with the hens. My ratio just doesn't allow for that many roosters.

I had someone say they'd take 2 of them but they wouldn't pay any money for them. What do you do? I would rather them not be someones dinner.
View attachment 3633154
View attachment 3633153
Beautiful birds! I'm right there with you! I hatched more than a hundred eggs and ended up with more than 20 roosters that I can't get rid of. And yeah they're loud and fussy and a pain in the butt but like you I raise them and that kind of really like them. Unfortunately I have found that there's an overall prejudice against roosters, I think it's because they're seen more of as a pain and a hassle than as a beautiful bird and a wonderful pet that's sometimes crows at 5:00 a.m. . But that's okay, cuz you're not alone in that. And it was compassion not to kill a bird because it was a rooster that brought about the whole discussion with my bird. So I really think roosters make wonderful pets, they're beautiful and they're almost always very unique and as your looks or behavior and I just think they are very underestimated and overlooked as a potential pet. Just because they like to sing?! Even if it isn't 5:00 a.m. They do like to Sing!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20230905_142539972.jpg
    IMG_20230905_142539972.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 7
Nobody wants a mutt rooster, so the best thing is to have a delicious healthy meal from him/them.
I've tried to keep roosters several times and they eventually all turn out to be a belly button.
They are fed very well and free range all day every day, until it's time to have them humanely taken care of.
Oh All my roosters are Mutt roosters and I don't care who believes it or not. But me and many others think it's quite possible that one of these Mutt roosters may have laid an egg. And I know if you're reading this your first reaction is BS, look for the thread and read on some of the science behind this. Roosters have value other than their meat, kind of like people.

Oh All my roosters are Mutt roosters and I don't care who believes it or not. But me and many others think it's quite possible that one of these Mutt roosters may have laid an egg. And I know if you're reading this your first reaction is BS, look for the thread and read on some of the science behind this. Roosters have value other than their meat, kind of like people.
I have heard of this before. There are definitely a bunch of cases of this brought up on here of hens that have male feathering but still lay eggs.

I have heard of this before. There are definitely a bunch of cases of this brought up on here of hens that have male feathering but still lay eggs.
Yeah there seems to be a lot of it out there once you start looking. And I keep hearing more and more stories about not only birds but just about every other kind of critter that may have had a gender issue of some sort. It's all been very educational as well as interesting.

Back
Top Bottom