Do you sell roosters?

A couple months ago I posted 2 cockerels for free with a local Facebook group. One was a hatchery quality light Brahma the other was a BYM. It took 2 weeks to give the Brahma away and I still have the Mixed breed.

As it turned out the mix breed’s attitude changed once the Brahma left. The whole flock dynamic changed and the cockerel is now stopping the fights not causing them. So he is welcome to stay here as long as he continues to behave. So I would say that at least in my neighborhood it would be really hard to find anyone willing to pay for a rooster unless it was something special.

There's no market for roosters. Every town in my country has dozens of free roosters listed on craigslist 24/7

I'd rather eat all of them myself rather than give them for free to meth-goblins that fight small animals for amusement
Then that's the market isn't it? If people pay money for meat at the store, why wouldn't you charge money for someone looking to butcher?

If people pay money for meat at the store, why wouldn't you charge money for someone looking to butcher?
I think the idea is that for the time and work that it takes to butcher, it evens out so it should be free? I still think $5 is reasonable, or a trade. I think this economy has everyone stingy right now. That may be the actual problem.

I sold one of my roos. I suggested in the post that someone could give me a donation, and the lady gave me $5 or $10. That shows that she is a person who goes out of their way to be good to others, I think.

I think the idea is that for the time and work that it takes to butcher, it evens out so it should be free? I still think $5 is reasonable, or a trade. I think this economy has everyone stingy right now. That may be the actual problem.

I sold one of my roos. I suggested in the post that someone could give me a donation, and the lady gave me $5 or $10. That shows that she is a person who goes out of their way to be good to others, I think.
I like the donation idea. Cause it takes time/work/money to get them to the point where you can butcher.

Then that's the market isn't it? If people pay money for meat at the store, why wouldn't you charge money for someone looking to butcher?
I think customers want to pay less for living meat because of the effort involved in the butchering process

There's so many free roosters out there that the vast majority of people aren't willing to pay $5 for a rooster that took 6 months of feeding to raise. In terms of cost effectiveness, selling roosters for $5 means the farmer is losing money

It's a dead market due to extreme supply over little demand

So I let a broody hen hatch 5 chicks 5 months ago and 4 of them turned out to be roosters. I am open to rehoming them but I am a little attached because I raised them. They're not mean and already great with the hens. My ratio just doesn't allow for that many roosters.

I had someone say they'd take 2 of them but they wouldn't pay any money for them. What do you do? I would rather them not be someones dinner.
View attachment 3633154
View attachment 3633153
Start a Bachelor Flock! Kept away from the ladies, most roosters can get along just fine, especially when raised together, as yours have been. I have a part of my coop and run that has a removable panel to separate it from the rest of the set-up. The panel is hardware cloth, so any chickens in that section are in full view of the rest of the flock from Day 1.
The mini-run is dubbed "Herman's Run" because that's where Herman the House Rooster chose to stay when he was outside. Herman's Run has hardened off incubator chicks and house broody hens while they raised their families. More often, it serves as our Bachelor Pad for my "extra" males. I firmly believe that, if I take on the responsibility of hatching them, I must also be responsible for their lives. I definitely eat chicken, but I can't eat something I've hand-raised, so that means either finding them a good home or keeping them here for the rest of their natural lives. Sometimes, the former isn't possible, so the young fellows stay, sometimes for years.
I'll let you in on a little secret ... most of the time, they stay because I don't always try very hard to find them new homes. I have a weakness for roosters! The space they occupy (they're banties, so that's not much) and the cost of their feed are more than offset by their frat boy antics (if you can't give them toys, give them a stump so they can play "King-of-the-Mountain" - they'll entertain you for hours!) and the eye candy they provide. My rooster flock is, by far, my favorite!

Even if they got a rooster, it's not going to guarantee they stop losing hens. I don't get why people seem convinced that a rooster will suddenly magically repell all predators away from the coop. At best, it likely will just mean that the next bird taken is the male and not the hen, but then they need another rooster.
I am convinced that people who believe this think all roosters are like FogHorn Leghorn. If his size doesn't intimidate a would-be predator, they'll TALK it to death - like the baby chicken hawk!

Back
Top Bottom