Do you sell your eggs?

My kid has a little egg route and those regular customers pay $4 for a dozen. But we give em free to our immediate neighbors and on impulse to anyone we feel like giving them to.

wow I was thinking about 1.75 and for those that want to be regular buyers they can buy me a bag a feed a month. Wow i would have never thought people would spend $5 on a dozen farm fresh eggs.

Were going to be selling them for 3.00 a dz to people at work. They are more then willing to pay that and they are free ranged...people pay more for free range and even more for organic free range. The organic free range eggs are going for 6.00 a dz at our local farmers markets! They were SOLD out too!

We were selling our eggs for $2 and a regular customer called and said we were selling them too cheap. Since we have had such a call for them we could not keep up. So they couldn't purchase eggs for about 6 weeks. So they had been going to the local farmer's markets. He told us that people were selling the eggs from $3.50 to $5.00. So we raised our price to $3.00 but we might have to raise it even more since feed keeps going up. Also people haven't complained about the price.

For those selling their eggs (mine aren't laying yet) does the Health Dept get involved? What kind of regulations are there for selling your eggs to the public?

Nope... not here. You have to sell a LOT of eggs to get them involved, and there are certain disclaimers I put on the cartons, like "not graded", or "not inspected".

I see people selling them here in reused cartons from the store and just slap on a label or black marker that says ungraded or their farm info.
hmm.png

I don't get them from the farmers market in Raleigh because they are $4-$5 a carton there. Out this way you can hit several farms at any hour and get them cheaper.

They sell for $4.00-$5.00 at the farmer's markets around here and I will sell mine for $4.00, maybe $4.50 if the prices go up anymore.
I will be giving them away all winter but come spring I have to help offset the cost of feed, bedding and such.

I also bought a couple of hundered new cartons as well, so its necessary to recoup some of the money I have spent.
I will still give them to neighbors with families and my own family but the rest will go to the markets.

Back
Top Bottom