Do you sell your meat birds

miron28

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
lenoir north carolina
Dose anyone sell there meat birds? I am thinking about getting Cornish x for my self. But I was wondering if anyone gets them and sells them? If you do what age do you sell them? How much do you get for them?
cool.png

We sell our meat birds as well we sell pasture raised turkey ,eggs and pasture raised beef ,I sold our broilers this year for $ 3.80 per lb we are getting 4.00 a lb for the turkeys.

I see that you are from Lenoir I live about 20 miles past Charlotte motor speedway.
Aaron

Last edited:
Greyfields knows more about this than anyone else on this forum.

I caoutnion you since your birds must be slaughtered in a USDA inspected facility if you intend to sell the meat. You can get around this by selling the chickens before slaughter then have the birds slaughtered at a STATE inspected facility in the name of the customer.

Check with your state though for any special regulations.

Jim

Someone from NC can correct me if I am wrong, but in NC, I do NOT have to have chickens processed in a state inspected facility unless I am selling to stores or restraunts. I can also sell up to 1000 processed chickens on my own before I am required to be inspected.

I think NC laws are a little bit different than some of the other states. Like I said, if I am wrong, someone from NC can correct me, but this is the info passed on to me this week from another chicken farmer who sells processed chickens.

Last edited:
Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Greyfields knows more about this than anyone else on this forum.

I caution you since your birds must be slaughtered in a USDA inspected facility if you intend to sell the meat. You can get around this by selling the chickens before slaughter then have the birds slaughtered at a STATE inspected facility in the name of the customer.

Check with your state though for any special regulations.

Jim

that is what i was wondering if i had to slaughtered them or sell them a live. i am going to get 50 and see what happens. i just didn't know when to sell them and how much

anyone else?​

NC ChickenMan, I plan on finding someone to process my beef and pork when it's time to do, but as far as chickens, I will do the first 1000 thousand each year myself to help keep those costs down some an profit up as much as possible. Lord knows I sure need every penny I can find right now.

I don't think it will be a problem to find buyers for 1000 chickens anyway. There is a CSA not far from me that has 3000 free range right now, and they have them all sold before they even receive the chicks from the hatchery.

I have been thinking about trying to set up a CSA myself, which would help with costs along the way. Anybody else have any experience with this that can offer any suggestions?

This was our first year selling fresh and frozen birds from our home and at farmer's market. We're in Maine, we did get licenses from the State ($30 total) and I have the birds processed in a state-inspected facility, which is required for in-state retail and wholesale sales. The Dept of Ag was actually very good to work with and the poultry vet spent a lot of time helping me fill out my application over the phone. And yes, we did add meat sales to our farm liability policy.

The processor is a co-op that started this year processing poultry for small farmers weekly. They're 2 hours away but it's what I have to do in order to sell the way I want to.

I was getting $3.50/lb for whole birds at farmer's market. I charge $3/lb at the farm. (Maybe I'm not charging enough?) I got $6/lb for boneless, skinless breast meat and could sell a lot more of that if I had it. I found lots of people wanted whole birds between 2.5-4lbs (6 wks). Fewer people wanted large roasters of 6-8lbs (8 wks) but those bigger birds make nice packages of parts. I'll try to offer an assortment next year with staggered chick deliveries. I'm thinking I'll start with 25 chicks weekly and go every other week to the shop with 1/2 my birds being 6 weeks and the other 1/2 at 8 weeks.

I could have sold a LOT of eggs, too, so I'm building my egg flock to 50 birds.

I work for the school district so this is like my "summer job".
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom