Do you still buy eggs from the stores ?

Sorry, didn't mean that to sound catty. Something weird is going on with my computer. Half of the response wasn't there.

For me, I don't like the idea of eating pesticides/herbicides so I tend to buy organic.

Are you not aware that organic does not mean pesticide or herbicide free?

Ironically the most common 'organic' pesticide/insecticide is Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) if that sounds familiar, it should as it's is the same pesticide/insecticide protein engineered into most GMO crops... And it's not just limited to 'spraying' it on the organic crops, in many organic 'vine' crops like melons and squash the bacteria is literally injected into the plants so it can grow and produce it's own pesticides just like a GMO crop does...

Way too many people believe that organic = pesticide and chemical free, that simply is not the case...

Last edited:
Nothing is chemical free these days, but I believe it is worth the effort, and my money, to avoid as many as possible. I'd rather not eat grains that were grown drenched in roundup, I use glass instead of plastic, essential oils instead of air fresheners.

Everyone is free to do what they like. The lists above are those fruits and vegetables that have been tested to have the highest pesticide residues. I tend to avoid them, and I think it's a good start for people who would like to do the same.

Nothing is chemical free these days, but I believe it is worth the effort, and my money, to avoid as many as possible.

But, the fact and reality is many organic crops are literally sprayed with more pesticides than traditional crops thus if the goal is to avoid pesticides buying organic might actually be contrary to your goal to avoid them...

Fact is the organic industry has done a great job of remaining silent on the truth and letting myths propagate and letting people believe that organic labeled food is something it simply is not...

"A recent study compared the effectiveness of a rotenone-pyrethrin mixture versus a synthetic pesticide, imidan. Rotenone and pyrethrin are two common organic pesticides; imidan is considered a "soft" synthetic pesticide (i.e., designed to have a brief lifetime after application, and other traits that minimize unwanted effects). It was found that up to 7 applications of the rotenone- pyrethrin mixture were required to obtain the level of protection provided by 2 applications of imidan."
https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~lhom/organictext.html

We look at studies like that and see that the 'organic' food would then need to be sprayed with 3.5 times the amount of pesticide, thus is the goal is to avoid pesticides organic is a step backwards in this case...

I have no 'beef' with organic products, but I do have a 'beef'' when they are claimed to be something they are not... If you choose to eat organic, knock your socks off, just don't try to sell it as being pesticide or chemical free as that is likely a falsehood at all levels unless you grow it yourself in a controlled environment...

Last edited:
Obviously you believe all organic is "worst case scenario" and are comfortable with conventionally grown crops. .

Do you know that the food you are eating isn't the worse case, the medium case or anywhere in between? If so can you share some insight how to determine that?

Fact is I do not believe in the "worst case scenario" I believe in facts and won't give credibility to unknowns or myths... I don't know about you but I certainly don't know even 10% of the growers of the food I eat thus I would be foolish to make claims on how many chemicals or pesticides were used to produce it... What I do know is that here is a long list of toxic chemicals and pesticides that are 100% organic approved, and I would be foolish to believe that many if not most commercial farmers are not using them to optimize yields..

The cold hard fact is the 'organic' label does not mean pesticide or chemical free or even less chemical or pesticide free, never has and never will and if you believe otherwise you are simply denying the truth that is easy to substantiate...

Meep Beep - where did I ever say that organic meant pesticide or chemical free? It sounds like you are twisting my words so you can go on a rant.

You have to start somewhere, and people that don't have big enough gardens to be self-sufficient usually need to buy at least some of their produce from the store.

The list published by the Environmental Working Group is also the list the Oncologists at my daughter's work give to their cancer patients, since they believe some of the non-organic pesticides are linked to increased risks of cancer and higher rates of relapse. The fruits and vegetables on the dirty list are MORE LIKELY to have a higher pesticide load and the clean list are LESS LIKELY to have a high load.

I'm sorry you were offended by my sharing the list with others.

No I wouldn't buy eggs from a store, nor would I buy things which contained eggs. "Free range" just means cage free, it doesn't mean the hens are actually free ranging in a field somewhere like most people believe. They can still be living in terrible conditions. Not only that, but you have no idea what they're being fed. And young male chicks are ground up alive, or suffocated because they are of no use to the egg industry. It's extremely cruel, I don't want to support that.

No I wouldn't buy eggs from a store, nor would I buy things which contained eggs. "Free range" just means cage free, it doesn't mean the hens are actually free ranging in a field somewhere like most people believe. They can still be living in terrible conditions. Not only that, but you have no idea what they're being fed. And young male chicks are ground up alive, or suffocated because they are of no use to the egg industry. It's extremely cruel, I don't want to support that.

there are local farms here that will sale free range eggs

$5 for a dozen
some will sell $3-$4 a dozen (not free range though)

but i didn't see any orange yolk eggs from these farms either.. i guess the chickens was not provided any food that is organge/red in color (carrots, pumpkins, etc..) ??

there are local farms here that will sale free range eggs

$5 for a dozen
some will sell $3-$4 a dozen (not free range though)

but i didn't see any orange yolk eggs from these farms either.. i guess the chickens was not provided any food that is organge/red in color  (carrots, pumpkins, etc..) ??
The only requirement you have to meet in order for your eggs to be labeled as "free range" is to give your hens access to the outdoors. It doesn't matter if they literally only have a patch of grass the size of an A4 piece of paper between them. Whenever people hear "Free range, Organic eggs" They have this image in their head of chickens scratching and pecking happily in a meadow somewhere, I know that's what I used to think. Sadly that is far from the truth.

I don't really know about the yolks, but I do know that some farmers will feed their chickens dried marigold or something similar to give the yolks an orange tinge.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom