Do you still buy eggs from the stores ?

The only requirement you have to meet in order for your eggs to be labeled as "free range" is to give your hens access to the outdoors. It doesn't matter if they literally only have a patch of grass the size of an A4 piece of paper between them. Whenever people hear "Free range, Organic eggs" They have this image in their head of chickens scratching and pecking happily in a meadow somewhere, I know that's what I used to think. Sadly that is far from the truth.

I don't really know about the yolks, but I do know that some farmers will feed their chickens dried marigold or something similar to give the yolks an orange tinge.

i heard of it.. marigold, pumpkin, carrots will give you orange color yolk

if you browse around youtube.. i'm sure you will find some videos where people claiming orange yolk means organic.. ?
roll.png

i heard of it.. marigold, pumpkin, carrots will give you orange color yolk

if you browse around youtube.. i'm sure you will find some videos where people claiming orange yolk means organic.. ? :rolleyes:
Yeah, I think that's why farmers do it. 'Pale yolks = bad diet'. People don't realise how easily these things are manipulated.

Yeah, I think that's why farmers do it. 'Pale yolks = bad diet'. People don't realise how easily these things are manipulated.

we usually buy those EG eggs

"vegetarian fed hens" ?

$3.66 or $4.78 for a dozen

3.66 is winco price
$4.78 is wal-mart

my chickens are not laying yet.. but now that they are making those groaning sounds.. i'm guess the time is near.. so i have to switch to layer feed soon.

i'm excited!! i want to compare store brought eggs (EB eggs) vs my backyard eggs.. to see if there's any difference between the two types

I don't know what 'EB' is..?
I'm sure there'll be a difference between your eggs and the shop bought eggs. They're probably laid by a different breed of chicken, the hens will have a different diet, and will be living in different conditions. A lot of cheap eggs have thinner shells because the hens don't get enough calcium, the poor diet and continuous egg laying causes their bones to become depleted, which is also why a lot of them will get bone fractures.

Last edited:
I don't know what 'EB' is..?
I'm sure there'll be a difference between your eggs and the shop bought eggs. They're probably laid by a different breed of chicken, the hens will have a different diet, and will be living in different conditions. A lot of cheap eggs have thinner shells because the hens don't get enough calcium, the poor diet and continuous egg laying causes their bones to become depleted, which is also why a lot of them will get bone fractures.

http://www.egglandsbest.com/

"25% less saturated fat than regular eggs..." hmm I don't buy that. I don't think there's anything special about these eggs.

Last edited:
And "only 60 calories", It's not the calories that matter it's where you're getting them from. This obsession with counting calories is ridiculous.

it's hard to say.. since we don't have anything to test eggs right at home

but EB eggs are pretty pricey
Looks like another marketing scam to me. You'll see on their website they also sell 'Cage-free' eggs, but as I said earlier this means absolutely nothing.

Looks like another marketing scam to me. You'll see on their website they also sell 'Cage-free' eggs, but as I said earlier this means absolutely nothing.

it's trend..

even costco promised cage free eggs in 2018?

it means the birds will not be in a cage but in a shed/hen house that is so packed to it's similar to caged anyway

organic, cage free, free range, etc..

things that people are willing to pay more because they believe they are doing their part + picking a product that is of higher qualify for themselves

Back
Top Bottom